Re: X.25 'user' calling address objects

Art Berggreen <art@opal.acc.com> Tue, 28 January 1992 17:33 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1992 09:03:21 -0800
From: Art Berggreen <art@opal.acc.com>
To: rodney@world.std.com, x25mib@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject: Re: X.25 'user' calling address objects

>If the X.25 'MIB Standard' (i.e. the document) does not discuss how users
>of X.25 should represent their access to X.25 (such as called address) then
>we promote an inefficient and potentially chaotic and inconsistent collection
>of variations on this.  This means, in general, that if I at layer N+1 wish
>to use a service at layer N and define a MIB for myself, I have to invent
>a way to represent what I send to layer N for addressing information.  This
>applies to ALL users of X.25 in this specific case.

As far as internal interfaces, this is obviously an implementation issue.
As far as external representation, the X25mib defines the x25address
object type:

          X25address ::= OCTET STRING (SIZE(0..17))
           -- 0 to 17 bytes in length containing the ASCII
           -- characters [0-9], each octet contains one digit
           -- of the address.

>Note I am not saying the 'X.25 MIB' has to contain objects for this.  I am
>suggesting that the document provide advisory implemention for the MIB
>developers at the layer above.
>
>If the X.25 MIB folks don't define it, who should?  Every single X.25 user-
>MIB-developer in existance?

Maybe an example of what you want would be helpful.

Art