Re: Initiating X.25 calls

Steve Huston <HUSTON@process.com> Wed, 29 January 1992 19:39 UTC

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1992 14:16:00 -0500
From: Steve Huston <HUSTON@process.com>
To: throop@dg-rtp.dg.com
Cc: x25mib@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject: Re: Initiating X.25 calls

>>>From: HUSTON@PROCESS.COM (Steve Huston)

>>>From my perspective, an X.25 virtual circuit is opened on behalf of a
>>>client protocol.  It's the client that ought to know whom it's going to
>>>communicate with, and therefore should provide the destination X.121
>>>address for a call.
>>
>>I've only been following this thread loosely, so please forgive me if I
>>missed the point here, but I thought that what Mark was looking for was a
>>way to configure call setup facilities for specific X.121 addresses.
>>This has been a very useful, if not necessary, thing to be able to do.
>>Last IP-on-X.25 implementation I worked on, we had to set up calls with
>>opposite-of-default facilities for calls to a certain PDN overseas.
>>
>The X.25 MIB has objects for controlling the default call parameters
>used by a particular X.25 subnetwork PLE.
> It just feels correct to make the
>upper layer entity MIB keep parameters associated with a
>destination address when the destination can't use the default
>parameters.  I don't think very many PLEs keep a complete list
>of all addresses they can talk with so I don't think they
>should be asked to keep the parameters for those addresses.

I agree, it is best to keep customized call setup parameters at, say, the
IP level for IP-using-X25.  But I don't see how/where they can be set.
ipNetToMediaTable doesn't have a way to do it (that I see, anyway).

Assuming I have missed some obvious point, could someone say how I could
configure my system of IP/X.25 for the following:

- Default call parameters of blah, blah (this part I see from the X.25
  packet layer MIB)
- IP address a.b.c.d maps to X.121 address 311061712345 (this part I see
  in ipNetToMediaTable of MIB-II)
- For the above mapping, do not try to reverse the charges, and use packet
  size 512, window 7 (not the defaults...)  (this is the part I don't
  understand how to do).

Steve Huston                          Process Software Corporation
huston@process.com                    959 Concord Street
+1 508 879 6994                       Framingham, MA  01701