Re: Initiating X.25 calls

Art Berggreen <art@opal.acc.com> Mon, 27 January 1992 18:18 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1992 09:50:14 -0800
From: Art Berggreen <art@opal.acc.com>
To: markt@python.eng.microcom.com, x25mib@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject: Re: Initiating X.25 calls

>Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I couldn't find any objects in the
>X.25 Packet Layer MIB that allow a manager the ability to initiate a
>call to a specific destination X.25 address.
>
>I know that the IP over X.25 MIB specifies ioxConIpAddress, which can be
>translated into a destination X.25 address, but shouldn't the X.25 MIB
>provide a mechanism to directly configure calls?

From my perspective, an X.25 virtual circuit is opened on behalf of a
client protocol.  It's the client that ought to know whom it's going to
communicate with, and therefore should provide the destination X.121
address for a call.  Thus, it seems reasonable to have client protocol
address to X.121 address translation tables specific to and part of the
client MIBs.

Art