Initiating X.25 calls

Mark Therieau <markt@python.eng.microcom.com> Mon, 27 January 1992 16:01 UTC

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1992 09:24:27 -0500
From: Mark Therieau <markt@python.eng.microcom.com>
To: x25mib@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject: Initiating X.25 calls

>From minutes of x25mib working group 7/30/91, Dean writes:

>The working group then discussed expanding the IP over X25 MIB to
>include objects for X.25 call parameters.  This would allow a
>manager to examine and change the X.25 parameters the IP over X.25
>software would use to initiate an X.25 call.  It was observed by
>the group that all users of X.25 would need a similar table.  As an
>example, the IPX over X.25 interface will have X.25 call parameters
>that may be part of a future MIB.  Rather than have each user of
>X.25 define their own objects, a table will be added to the X.25
>MIB for X.25 call parameters.  This table will include call user
>data, packet size, window size, charging information, and other
>parameters.  The table will not include the destination X.25
>address.  This will allow one set of parameters to apply to several
 ^^^^^^^
>different destinations.

I do understand the desire to allow several destinations to share the same
set of call parameters as described above.  But there is something about
this that I don't understand.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I couldn't find any objects in the
X.25 Packet Layer MIB that allow a manager the ability to initiate a
call to a specific destination X.25 address.

I know that the IP over X.25 MIB specifies ioxConIpAddress, which can be
translated into a destination X.25 address, but shouldn't the X.25 MIB
provide a mechanism to directly configure calls?

A table to implement this might look like the following:

--	X.25 Call Configuration Table

x25CallInfoTable OBJECT-TYPE
	SYNTAX SEQUENCE OF x25CallInfoTableEntry
	ACCESS not-accessible
	STATUS mandatory
	DESCRIPTION
		"Information on configured calls"
	::= { x25 # }

x25CallInfoTableEntry OBJECT-TYPE
	SYNTAX X25CallInfoTableEntry
	ACCESS not-accessible
	STATUS mandatory
	DESCRIPTION
		"Entries of x25CallInfoTable"
	INDEX { x25CallInfoIndex,
		x25CallInfoRemDteAddress }
	::= { x25CallInfoTable 1 }

X25CallInfoTableEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
	x25CallInfoIndex
		INTEGER,
	x25CallInfoDteAddress
		X25Address,
	x25CallInfoDirection
		INTEGER,
	x25CallInfoCommand
		INTEGER

	-- Possibly objects similiar to the following could also be included:
	-- ioxConMaximumIdleTime
	-- ioxConMinimumOpenTime
	-- ioxConX25FcltyIndex
	-- ioxConX25fcltyCcittIndex
	-- ioxConX25CallParamIndex
	}

x25CallInfoIndex OBJECT-TYPE
	SYNTAX INTEGER
	ACCESS read-only
	STATUS mandatory
	DESCRIPTION
		"An index value that uniquely identifies the X.25 PLE
		 subnetwork and matches its ifIndex value."
	::= { x25CallInfoTableEntry 1 }

x25CallInfoDteAddress
	SYNTAX INTEGER
	ACCESS read-write
	STATUS mandatory
	DESCRIPTION
		"For outgoing calls this is the DTE address to be placed
		 in the call request packet.  For incoming calls this
		 indicates the address of an acceptable remote DTE."
	::= { x25CallInfoTableEntry 2 }

x25CallInfoDirection
	SYNTAX INTEGER {
		incoming(1),
		outgoing(2),
		incomingOrOutgoing(3) }
	ACCESS read-write
	STATUS mandatory
	DESCRIPTION
		"The allowed direction of the call."
	::= { x25CallInfoTableEntry 3 }

x25CallInfoCommand
	SYNTAX INTEGER {
		callRequest(1) }
	ACCESS read-write
	STATUS mandatory
	DESCRIPTION
		"A set of this object to callRequest(1) for an entry whose
		 x25CallInfoDirection is outgoing(2) or incomingOrOutgoing(3)
		 will cause a call request to be sent to x25CallInfoDteAddress"
	::= { x25CallInfoTableEntry 4 }

Comments? Rebuttals?

markt

----- End Included Message -----