Re: Initiating X.25 calls

Steve Huston <HUSTON@process.com> Mon, 27 January 1992 19:48 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1992 14:29:00 -0500
From: Steve Huston <HUSTON@process.com>
To: art@opal.acc.com
Cc: markt@python.eng.microcom.com, x25mib@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject: Re: Initiating X.25 calls

>>I know that the IP over X.25 MIB specifies ioxConIpAddress, which can be
>>translated into a destination X.25 address, but shouldn't the X.25 MIB
>>provide a mechanism to directly configure calls?
>
>From my perspective, an X.25 virtual circuit is opened on behalf of a
>client protocol.  It's the client that ought to know whom it's going to
>communicate with, and therefore should provide the destination X.121
>address for a call.

I've only been following this thread loosely, so please forgive me if I
missed the point here, but I thought that what Mark was looking for was a
way to configure call setup facilities for specific X.121 addresses.
This has been a very useful, if not necessary, thing to be able to do.
Last IP-on-X.25 implementation I worked on, we had to set up calls with
opposite-of-default facilities for calls to a certain PDN overseas.

-Steve