Re: [XCON] Open Issue: Hideable Participants

Rohan Mahy <rohan@cisco.com> Fri, 12 March 2004 00:52 UTC

Cc: xcon@ietf.org, Eric Burger <eburger@snowshore.com>, Rohan Mahy <rohan@cisco.com>, "'Kozdon, Peter'" <Peter.Kozdon@icn.siemens.com>, 'Adam Roach' <adam@dynamicsoft.com>
From: Rohan Mahy <rohan@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [XCON] Open Issue: Hideable Participants
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:52:46 -0800
To: "Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@marconi.com>
Sender: xcon-admin@ietf.org

On Mar 11, 2004, at 1:36 PM, Rosen, Brian wrote:

> So, this is a discussion of "do you want the characteristics of
> a participant, or a description of it".
>
> Seems to me that since this is not a protocol mechanism, it's a
> UI issue, that you want a description and not a set of characteristics.
> It's pretty easy to figure out what an IVR box does, but its pretty
> hard to figure out that it is an IVR box from a set of caps.
> Infer that it's a donkey from a description of the parts
> vs infer what parts are available knowing it's a donkey.

if its really relevant to know that its a donkey, then use a
description/role/whatever.  However, *STAYING ON TOPIC*, we are trying
to tell if you should show the donkey or not in the roster, and you
clearly can't do that if some asses are interesting and others are not.

thx,
-r