Re: [XCON] Open Issue: Hideable Participants

Rohan Mahy <rohan@cisco.com> Fri, 12 March 2004 01:11 UTC

Cc: xcon@ietf.org, Eric Burger <eburger@snowshore.com>, "Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@marconi.com>, Rohan Mahy <rohan@cisco.com>, "'Kozdon, Peter'" <Peter.Kozdon@icn.siemens.com>, 'Adam Roach' <adam@dynamicsoft.com>
From: Rohan Mahy <rohan@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [XCON] Open Issue: Hideable Participants
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:06:53 -0800
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Sender: xcon-admin@ietf.org

Paul,

On Mar 11, 2004, at 1:14 PM, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
> Lets not get hung up on whether we call it a role or an attribute.
> Many of the callee-caps things can be considered to be roles.
>
> Regarding Rohan saying there is another new attribute - I don't know
> what that is. Are you talking about a "hideable" attribute? I don't
> think that makes much sense. It puts the responsibility on the focus
> to decide what should be hideable.

yes.  It makes the focus responsible for setting and believing this
attribute. I think this is an excellent thing.  IMO, the focus is the
only entity that can do a reasonable job of this.

> I think it is better for clients to each decide what they do/don't
> want to see. I may want to hide automata and attendants except that I
> want to see recorders. You may just decide to hide automata.

feel free to do that, but you may not like the results.  what if the
predominantly interesting thing in the conference is an automaton with
VCR-style controls that the humans in the group are annotating?  What
if the automata is providing other useful information as a participant
(rendering a summary of last months sales figures for example).  I
think the "ignore automatons" approach.  It also doesn't allow you to
ignore the "tea lady" participant or the "human scribe" participant.

> Regarding how to denote a recorder, I think the existing message-taker
> feature tag is probably close enough for the purpose.

this may be reasonable, but there are slightly different routing
semantics if I want my call routed to someone/something who can take a
message for me, and something that just records what I said.

> I think what we are talking about can be achieved by exposing the
> contact parameters from each participant in CPCP.

sometimes.

thanks,
-r

> 	Paul
>
> Rosen, Brian wrote:
>> What attributes does an IVR box have besides automaton?
>> How about a caption service?
>> If we create a caps for each service, all orthogonal, is that
>> you think makes sense?
>> These are all roles, they are not attributes.
>> Brian

>>> personal/business
>>> mobile/fixed