Re: [xmpp] [Gen-art] Gen-ART review for draft-ietf-xmpp-websocket-07

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Tue, 08 July 2014 15:22 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 09:22:41 -0600
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
To: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
Cc: "draft-ietf-xmpp-websocket.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-xmpp-websocket.all@tools.ietf.org>, "gen-art@ietf.org" <gen-art@ietf.org>, "xmpp@ietf.org" <xmpp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [xmpp] [Gen-art] Gen-ART review for draft-ietf-xmpp-websocket-07

Hi Dan,

As the document shepherd for this spec and the author of RFC 6120, I
have one comment below.

On 7/8/14, 3:06 AM, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
> Hi Jari,
>
> The authors actually responded - see http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/gen-art/current/msg10306.html.
>
> They pushed back on my #1 - I am still not convinced by their argument (as the protocol does change by adding a different mapping) but I would not block the document for this purpose.
> The proposed changes for the rest are fine.

Even at the time of RFC 3920 (precursor to RFC 6120), we had one other
binding, namely the HTTP binding long-polling binding ("BOSH") defined
at http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0124.html - this is why in RFC 3920 we
explicitly stated that the spec defined only the TCP binding:

###

4.2. Binding to TCP

    Although there is no necessary coupling of an XML stream to a [TCP]
    connection (e.g., two entities could connect to each other via
    another mechanism such as polling over [HTTP]), this specification
    defines a binding of XMPP to TCP only.  In the context of
    client-to-server communications, a server MUST allow a client to
    share a single TCP connection for XML stanzas sent from client to
    server and from server to client.  In the context of server-to-server
    communications, a server MUST use one TCP connection for XML stanzas
    sent from the server to the peer and another TCP connection
    (initiated by the peer) for stanzas from the peer to the server, for
    a total of two TCP connections.

###

We repeated this qualification in RFC 6120:

###

3. TCP Binding

3.1. Scope

    As XMPP is defined in this specification, an initiating entity
    (client or server) MUST open a Transmission Control Protocol [TCP]
    connection to the receiving entity (server) before it negotiates XML
    streams with the receiving entity.  The parties then maintain that
    TCP connection for as long as the XML streams are in use.  The rules
    specified in the following sections apply to the TCP binding.

       Informational Note: There is no necessary coupling of XML streams
       to TCP, and other transports are possible.  For example, two
       entities could connect to each other by means of [HTTP] as
       specified in [XEP-0124] and [XEP-0206].  However, this
       specification defines only a binding of XMPP to TCP.

###

The WebSocket binding specified in this I-D is intended to eventually
replace BOSH for reasons explained in RFC 6202.

In my opinion, the point of layering via bindings is to not modify or
update one binding by defining another binding. Thus I continue to be of
the opinion that the WebSocket binding does not update RFC 6120.

Peter