Re: [3gv6] Stateless Prefix Delegation I-D updated (draft-savolainen-stateless-pd)

<teemu.savolainen@nokia.com> Sat, 27 February 2010 22:27 UTC

From: teemu.savolainen@nokia.com
To: otroan@employees.org
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 23:29:21 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: v6ops@ops.ietf.org, 3gv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [3gv6] Stateless Prefix Delegation I-D updated (draft-savolainen-stateless-pd)

Ole,

Thank you for your attention.

Yes, number of messages is not the issue. However, with DHCPv6 PD the DHCPv6 server has to identify the RR, while in stateless the same ISP prefix could be communicated to all requesters. Nevertheless, your proposal is very interesting and we need to think about it. In a way there could be very lightweight DR at the gateway, right?

Have you seen also http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-krishnan-intarea-pd-epc-00 ? With DHCPv6 PD there's the issue of not being able to use one /64 on the WAN from the delegated space. On the other hand, not having a global /64 prefix on the WAN at all (unnumbred model) probably would be too big change for the 3GPP. Any thoughts about this issue?

Binding to L2 would indeed mean that, unless somehow kept the same during cellular network reconnection e.g. after unexpected network disconnect (NEMO is then for true network mobility..). I'll note this.

Best regards,

Teemu