[3gv6] Stateless Prefix Delegation I-D updated (draft-savolainen-stateless-pd)

<teemu.savolainen@nokia.com> Fri, 26 February 2010 11:46 UTC

From: teemu.savolainen@nokia.com
To: 3gv6@ietf.org, v6ops@ops.ietf.org
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:48:18 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: [3gv6] Stateless Prefix Delegation I-D updated (draft-savolainen-stateless-pd)

Hi,

We have updated the Stateless IPv6 Prefix Delegation draft with the following significant changes (in addition to various minor changes):

* Describing better that GTP TEID or GRE Key or similar could be used to construct the delegated prefix

* Describing address space waste mitigation ways: dedicated APN (in 3GPP), and emphasizing need to optimize the size of the delegated prefixes

* Aggregating prefixes so that the /64 of the WAN interface (e.g. used for PDP context) is now part of the shorter-than-/64 prefix allocated to a node. I.e. a node may be allocated, for example, a single /60, of which one /64 is taken for WAN link by the gateway, leaving the rest for the node to use for downstream advertisement/delegation purposes

* Added a note that while possible, it may not be feasible, to delegate prefixes from different subnets (possible if one configures multiple ISP prefixes, but that would increase address space consumption even more)

------
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-savolainen-stateless-pd-01.txt

Abstract:
This document describes an automatic and stateless IPv6 prefix delegation solution for IPv6-only and dual-stack access networks.
The solution builds on automatic delegation mechanism defined by 6RD, but is suitable for IPv6-only networks, including those that have not deployed stateful DHCPv6.  The described stateless approach essentially exchanges the complexity of the stateful prefix delegation to increased consumption of IPv6 address space and less flexible properties.
------

All comments are welcome.

Best regards,

Teemu