Re: [6lo] Generation of IPv6 IIDs

Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org> Thu, 01 May 2014 17:42 UTC

Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 10:42:38 -0700
From: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
To: Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com>, 6lo@ietf.org
Cc: 6lo-chairs@tools.ietf.org, "draft-ietf-6man-default-iids@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-6man-default-iids@tools.ietf.org>, Dave Thaler <dthaler@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: [6lo] Generation of IPv6 IIDs

On 4/30/14, 6:42 PM, Fernando Gont wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We recently contacted the 6lo chairs asking whether there were any
> 6lo-related documents that should be mentioned in the "Updates" of our
> I-D: <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-default-iids>.

Fernando,

Are you planning on specifying all the possible protocols tweaks that
might be needed to existing RFCs in draft-ietf-6man-default-iids?
Unless you do you can't claim that it updates those RFCs.
And that would be completely unwieldy.

I think it would be better to progress default-iids with
  - SHOULD implement stable-privacy
  - SHOULD use stable-privacy as default where it works (such as Ethernet)
  - state that some issues have been identified in RFC X, Y, Z, as as
those get addressed the SHOULD use will be applied to those as well.

That way you avoid having to design all the solutions before
default-iids can be progressed in 6man.

RFC 6775 (6lowpan-nd) makes the assumption that the host always has a
link-local address configured with the EUI-64 of the host.
That assumption is used in section 6.5.2 to send errors back to hosts.
Note that we already know of a solution, which is local to the router
implementation, which is already captured in section 9.7 in
draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd. 6lo might consider taking
that suggestion and having either a short document which updates 6775 or
doing a 6775-bis if there are other desirable updates (I think a
transaction ID in the ARO is such another desirable update).

But IMHO we shouldn't have any such work hold up
draft-ietf-6man-default-iids.

Regards,
    Erik