Re: [6lowpan] Ready for WGLC? (Re: Latest version of IPv6 over BT-LE draft)

<minjun.xi@nokia.com> Thu, 22 September 2011 13:53 UTC

From: minjun.xi@nokia.com
To: esko.dijk@philips.com, johanna.1.nieminen@nokia.com, cabo@tzi.org
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 13:53:12 +0000
x-originating-ip: [114.249.158.86]
Cc: 6lowpan@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] Ready for WGLC? (Re: Latest version of IPv6 over BT-LE draft)

Esko,
DHCPv6 for 6LoWPAN network.

In the current version of I-D, there's one chapter (3.2.1) describing
"IPv6 Address Configuration", which mentioned "Stateless
autoconfiguration". Stateless autoconfiguration is defined in RFC4862,
which is different from "stateful autoconfiguration" (aka DHCPv6).

Compared with 6LoWPAN over BT-LE, draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd has defined the
mechanism to configure IPv6 addresses for 6LoWPAN over 802.15.4. In
draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd-17, there're several assumptions for 6lowpan-nd. It
says "All nodes in the network have an EUI-64 interface identifier in
order to do address auto-configuration and detect duplicate addresses."
Also, draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd introduces the Address Registration mechanism
and the optional DAD mechanism. DHCPv6 is not optimized for low-power and
lossy networks including 802.15.4 and BT-LE.

I think it is necessary to make the "IPv6 address configuration" for
6LoWPAN over BT-LE clear in the future revision.

Thank you!

--
Best Regards,
Minjun, Xi