[72attendees] New mailing list to discuss IETF Food requirements

"Mary Barnes" <mary.barnes@nortel.com> Fri, 22 August 2008 17:15 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:08:36 -0500
From: Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>
To: 72attendees@ietf.org
Sender: 72attendees-bounces@ietf.org

Hi all,

Dan Wing has helped me setup a mailing list to discuss the dietary
requirements for a group of folks at IETF meetings - triggered, of
course, by the many threads of discussion on this topic at IETF-72, but
something that has caused problems for many of us over many years of
IETF meetings - even to the point that the only thing that some folks
could consume at the meeting location was beer - at least the Guinness
had lots of B vitamins and the gluten-free cider had fruit!

Here's the basic overview and objective for the list:

"This list is for IETF participants that have either medical, religious
or ethical dietary requirements - e.g., celiac/gluten intolerance,
Kosher, Halal, vegetarian/vegan, food allergies, diabetic, other special
diets, etc.. The list is intended to provide a forum for discussion so
that we can understand one another's requirements and plan ahead for
IETF meetings by both preparing ourselves and the meeting planners."

Here's how you can subscribe:

Hopefully, this will keep much of the discussion off the main meeting
lists, although I will post a reminder before and at the meeting for
folks that might not be aware.  We certainly welcome anyone to subscribe
and my guess (based on the population on average) is that at least 10%
of us (really should be 30%, but many folks don't know about their
issues yet :)  have food restrictions of some sort.   Folks that are
just interested in healthy eating might also want to subscribe,  as the
common food denominator for most of these diets is a fairly broad range
of whole foods with known ingredients - i.e., without "mystery"
additives or processing.

Regards,
Mary H. Barnes