Re: [AAA-DOCTORS] [OPS-DIR] FW: Internal WG Review: STORage Maintenance (storm)

Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@nokia.com> Tue, 28 April 2009 16:43 UTC

From: Lars Eggert <lars.eggert@nokia.com>
To: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <mehmet.ersue@nsn.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:44:28 -0400
Cc: "aaa-doctors@ietf.org" <aaa-doctors@ietf.org>, "ops-dir@ietf.org" <ops-dir@ietf.org>, "Black_David@emc.com" <Black_David@emc.com>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [AAA-DOCTORS] [OPS-DIR] FW: Internal WG Review: STORage Maintenance (storm)

Hi,

On 2009-4-28, at 12:29, Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich) wrote:
> unfortunately I missed the Storm BoF in SF. I also was not aware of
> the discussion on the maillists you mention.
>
> I made the experience that announcing a BoF maillist to IETF and
> forcing some discussion on this maillist with IETF member
> participation
> is a good way to show IESG that there is measurable IETF community
> interest.

as David said below, there was discussion on the still-existing RDDP,
IPS and IMSS lists, and the BOF went - in my opinion - very well. I
believe community interest has been demonstrated, which is why we're
going forward with a charter proposal.

> The huge amount of people in the session, which are sometimes
> occasionally in the room and vote, usually disappear when it comes to
> maillist discussion. Also for our regular WG work the decisions have
> to be confirmed on the maillist.
>
> As I said I believe this is an important and necessary consolidation
> work but should be discussed and accepted first in the IETF community.

I don't quite know what to do with you comment. Are you saying there
hasn't been sufficient discussion to go forward with the chartering?
Or am I misunderstanding?

I'll also note that the community obviously still has time to comment
- the charter is in internal I* review at this time, after which it
will go for public review.

Lars