Re: [AAA-DOCTORS] [OPS-DIR] FW: Internal WG Review: STORage Maintenance (storm)

Black_David@emc.com Fri, 01 May 2009 21:33 UTC

From: Black_David@emc.com
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 17:34:01 -0400
To: ietfdbh@comcast.net, lars.eggert@nokia.com, mehmet.ersue@nsn.com
Cc: aaa-doctors@ietf.org, ops-dir@ietf.org, iab@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, Black_David@emc.com
Subject: Re: [AAA-DOCTORS] [OPS-DIR] FW: Internal WG Review: STORage Maintenance (storm)

David,

[ ... MIB & management discussion snipped, as Dan (AD) and I are
	in rough agreement on how to move forward on those topics ...]

> I did not overlook that you would need to deal with Security
> Considerations.
>
> I did overlook RFC3723. There are lots of documents related to iSCSI
> and iFCP and FCIP and iSNS and ... I simply haven't had time to study
> all of them.

I'll add some mention of RFC 3723 to the proposed charter.

> The problem I have is that I could not look at the documents from
INCITS
> to determine the status of security for SCSI/iSCSI and FC/FCIP, etc.

I wish you'd asked where to look for this information first, as
I've done a fair amount of work on security for both of these
technologies.  FWIW, I also do security work in the IETF -
RFC 5282 is a recent example.

For the status of security in SCSI and FC, the two documents to
look at are the working drafts of the SPC-4 and FC-SP-2 standards.
Both of these documents are publicly available, but (obviously)
the contents of each standard will change as the work progresses:

T10 SPC-4 Revision 18:
	http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=f&f=spc4r18.pdf
T11 FC-SP-2 Version 2:
	http://www.t11.org/ftp/t11/pub/fc/sp-2/08-586v0.pdf

In addition, all of the proposal documents for both standards
efforts are publicly available (important for FC-SP-2, as there
is a lot of work that's not reflected in the current draft).

I have been a significant technical contributor to both standards
and would be happy to answer any questions that you have about
them.  Almost everything in these standards is above the level
of the IETF storage protocols and hence out of scope for the
proposed STORM WG (aside from being referenced if/as appropriate).

> INCITS did make public their intention to update SAM-4 to address
> security.  Apparently they think there is something that needs
> addressing.  But I don't know what they know, because they don't
> say what needs addressing

Different organizations do things in different ways, and that
level of summation is not uncommon in INCITS project proposals
(in contrast, IETF WG charters tend to have a lot more details).

As an active member of T10 who works on security, my understanding
is that much of the explanation is:
- SAM-4 doesn't say anything about security (believe it or not,
	the word "security" does not occur in the standard).
- There is significant security functionality coming in SPC-4
	(cf. the draft referenced above).
- SAM-5 should be aligned with SPC-4, necessitating some
	security additions to the SCSI architecture.  See the
	SPC-4 draft for some idea of what's likely to be coming.

Thanks,
--David