Re: [admin-discuss] [IAB] Consultation on IETF Administrative Strategic Plan 2023

"Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Fri, 24 November 2023 14:57 UTC

From: "Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 15:57:22 +0100
Cc: Jay Daley <exec-director@ietf.org>, "admin-discuss@ietf.org" <admin-discuss@ietf.org>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, IAB <iab@iab.org>
To: Mirja Kuehlewind <mirja.kuehlewind=40ericsson.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [admin-discuss] [IAB] Consultation on IETF Administrative Strategic Plan 2023

Hi Jay again,

I just realised that I actually had a few more comments on the text (not only the transitions) which I apparently never hit send on. I hope that is still useful input for you. Please see below.

Mirja

——————————
“The Director of Communications has had a content curation and coordination role for many years, both when at ISOC and now at the IETF LLC, but this needs a higher level of management and the IETF LLC appears to be the only part of the IETF with the inclination and resources to do that. The IETF LLC has been moving into that role for some time with a rolling program of tackling specific areas of content (e.g. authors, WG chairs, meetings).”

Just because there is a gap, it doesn’t mean the LLC has to fill it. The LLC should work on finding the right process to ensure that the gap is filled but authority about the content can not move to the LLC.

“The IETF LLC and Secretariat have moved past the point where they respond to every request/suggestion/complaint by changing the way they do things, and changes to processes are now made on a more measured and planned approach.”

I agree changes should not be driven by individual complains but based on either community input or in collaboration with the respective leadership group (IESG/IAB/IRFT/LLC). In cases were an immediate decision is needed, reporting is important and needs to be improved. This could be spelled out.

“The work on offsetting carbon emissions is close to the final stage of identifying and procuring carbon offsets, but this is still sufficiently important to be a top level strategic transformation.”

Finding “potential options for carbon offset” was already in the last strategic plan and since then you did some blog post and side meeting but I feel we actually never established community consensus about offsetting carbon emissions.

“Large donors, such as foundations, often provide a package of funding. For example, a portion of the funding may need to be dedicated to outreach and so the IETF LLC will need to work with the IAB and IESG to have plans pre-prepared on how to use outreach funds, which can then be shared with potential donors.”

This point is not well reflected in the transitions.

“There has been a lot of work on remote participation leading to a significantly improved experience. However, further improvement is sought, particularly around the social engagement aspect.”

It would be more useful to say where and why improvements are needed. This only mentions the social engagement aspect but that again something for the IESG to care about in general - of course tooling support is something for the LLLC but the IESG needs to decide if and with what goal they want to improve there. However, there are many things about user experience that need still need improvement and continues development that should be mentioned here more explicit.