Re: [Anima] [6lo] Comments needed for Security Bootstrapping of IEEE 802.15.4 based Internet of Things

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Sat, 21 February 2015 11:44 UTC

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 12:44:26 +0100
From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: consultancy@vanderstok.org, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Cc: 6tisch-security@ietf.org, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, "Hedanping (Ana)" <ana.hedanping@huawei.com>, robert.cragie@gridmerge.com, 6lo@ietf.org, anima@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Anima] [6lo] Comments needed for Security Bootstrapping of IEEE 802.15.4 based Internet of Things

Peter, Brian,

I would strongly recommend not to use the term bootstrapping. Replacing
it with some other word that explains what you want to do.

After-all, we are engineers and not marketing guys. I tend to get a bit
nervous when I read terms like "zero-touch" and alike that create the
impression that there is no configuration that needs to be done by
anyone. Of course, that's not the case.

With all the security drafts in NETCONF (zerotouch) or in ANIMA I get
the impression that we are re-inventing the wheel not only because we
want to work on new stuff but largely because we actually don't
understand the state of the art ourselves anymore. I fear that the
<draft-he-iot-security-bootstrapping-00> document also falls into the
category of not understanding the state-of-the-art. I understand if
someone is not up-to-speed with the most recent efforts in Thread
(because they are only visible to members of that organization) but the
ZigBee-IP work should be known. While ZigBee-IP may be considered dead
by know it also appears to me that any new work in the IETF on
security/routing/etc. for IEEE 802.15.4 will have to compete against
Thread. Thread has seen a dramatic growth rate in terms of membership
and so I doubt that work in the same area has a lot of chances for
success.

Sorry for the rant but I believe it will help everyone to figure out
that most of the groups are actually developing the same solutions over
and over again.

Now to the issue of the multi-vendor equipment. Adding new solutions (as
it is done in ANIMA) while other groups and organizations have already
standardized similar technologies (using different terminology) will not
make the interoperability any better. I am sure you know that far too well.

It would be great to have a conversation (maybe at the next IETF
meeting) how the different environments (home environment, enterprise
environments/industrial environments) are different in terms of
provisioning credentials and configuration information to IoT devices.
Needless to say that there are differences and you can see them when you
look at how existing products work. That does, however, not necessarily
mean that there are no common building blocks.

Ciao
Hannes