Re: [Anima] Use of the chartering tool for ANIMA - draft names mentioned or not?

Laurent Ciavaglia <Laurent.Ciavaglia@alcatel-lucent.com> Mon, 15 September 2014 11:06 UTC

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:05:54 +0200
From: Laurent Ciavaglia <Laurent.Ciavaglia@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, "Papadimitriou, Dimitri (Dimitri)" <dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.com>, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Cc: "anima@ietf.org" <anima@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Anima] Use of the chartering tool for ANIMA - draft names mentioned or not?

Dear Benoit, all,

I am in favor of track nr. 2., and yes, I believe the WG should address
such problem(s) (assuming I undestood correctly problem in this context
as the set of functionalities in scope of the WG).

I would describe these parts (functionalities) in the charter by:
     -naming the functionality, short description, references (articles,
I-Ds).

HTH, best regards, Laurent.

On 13/09/2014 09:24, Benoit Claise wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Let me split the issue.
> I inserted the draft names back in the charter at
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-anima/
> As explained in a previous email (Subject "ANIMA status"):
>
>     Regarding the starting points mentioning the draft names, I
>     actually believe that pointing to existing work is a plus, to see
>     some description behind a single bullet point. Let's imagine that
>     you read "Definition of a solution for a separated Autonomic
>     Control Plane" for the first time (this is what will happen
>     when/if this charter is proposed for last-call), I'm sure that
>     would lead to many questions or potential wrong assumptions.
>     Note, however, that mentioning starting points doesn't imply that
>     we ask you to adopt those document as WG items now.
>
> I see two tracks from here:
> 1. We keep the draft names as starting points.
>
> 2. We remove the draft names BUT you have to be slightly more verbose
> on what you try to achieve WITHOUT going in the full discussion right
> now. For example, all Dmitri's questions are valid ...
>
>     Discovery as documented "draft-jiang-config-negotiation-protocol" (listed in the charter) states it is designed to be a generic negotiation platform (if someone can explain what the word platform means in this context this would be really helpful), it assumes "the main target scenarios are still hierarchical networks [...] we assume that each network element has a hierarchical superior" (how does such constraint relate to the NRMG framework document which states "Those nodes communicate with each other through an Autonomic Control Plane which provides a robust and secure communications overlay" which reads plane needs drive the inter-agent communication paths and not the other way around), and more importantly it doesn't put at all in perspective the three components of a discovery process in such systems: where is agent X (location), what can do/provide agent Y (function/resource), which knowledge has agent Z (information) and whether other agents should
>        access
>       either of them directly or indirectly. This type of considerations should be part of a document that could be considered as a starting point.
>
> ... but I wonder whether we should answer all them now, at charter time.
>
> The real question is: should a future WG be working on this problem?
>
> Regards, Benoit

Bien cordialement, Best regards,

*Laurent Ciavaglia*

Advanced Internet Research

Bell Labs | Alcatel Lucent

phone: +33 160 402 636

email: laurent.ciavaglia@alcatel-lucent.com
<mailto:laurent.ciavaglia@alcatel-lucent.com>

linkedin: laurentciavaglia <http://fr.linkedin.com/in/laurentciavaglia/>

address: Route de Villejust | 91620 Nozay | France