[aqm] Alia Atlas' Yes on draft-ietf-aqm-codel-07: (with COMMENT)

Alia Atlas <akatlas@gmail.com> Thu, 13 April 2017 05:28 UTC

From: Alia Atlas <akatlas@gmail.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-aqm-codel@ietf.org, aqm-chairs@ietf.org, wes@mti-systems.com, aqm@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 22:28:47 -0700
Subject: [aqm] Alia Atlas' Yes on draft-ietf-aqm-codel-07: (with COMMENT)

Alia Atlas has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-aqm-codel-07: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-codel/

COMMENT:

Thank you for a clear and very well written document.  This was well
worth staying up
past 1am to read fully.  I do have one primary comment and a couple minor
points.

First, the document status is Experimental.   While encouraging
experimentation, the
document doesn't really articulate what the concerns are or how
experimentation might
determine that this should be changed to standards track.  While
regrettably I haven't
personally followed the AQM work, I might assume that some of the issues
to general
applicability might be tied to aspects around the challenges of applying
CoDel to a
system architecture built around WRED AQM and enqueue complexity rather
than dequeue
complexity.  Having a paragraph that gave context in the introduction for
the questions
still to be explored would be helpful.

a) In Sec 3.4 :  "This property of CoDel has been exploited in
   fq_codel [FQ-CODEL-ID], which hashes on the packet header fields to
   determine a specific bin, or sub-queue, for each five-tuple flow,"
  For the general case of traffic, it would be better to focus on using a
microflow's
  entropy information  - whether that is derived from a 5-tuple, the IPv6
flow label,
  an MPLS Entropy label, etc.  Tying this specifically to the 5-tuple is
not ideal.
  Obviously I missed this for draft-ietf-aqm-fq-codel-06 - but even a
slight rephrasing
to "for each microflow, identifiable via five-tuple hash, src/dest + IPv6
flow label, or
other entropy information" would encourage better understanding of
micro-flow identification.
Of course, this is just a comment - so do with it what you will.

b) (Nit) In Sec 5.1: " We use this insight in the pseudo-code for CoDel
later in the draft."
  The pseudo-code is actually earlier in the draft.  Also
s/draft/document for publication.