[aqm] adoption call: algorithm drafts

Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com> Tue, 16 September 2014 13:38 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:38:32 -0400
From: Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com>
To: "aqm@ietf.org" <aqm@ietf.org>
Subject: [aqm] adoption call: algorithm drafts

On the mailing list, on the summer webex, and during the last
meeting, we've discussed plans and expectations for adopting
algorithm specifications as working group drafts.

For a process description, see page 6 of:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/90/slides/slides-90-aqm-0.pdf
(one exception is that our charter says algorithms can be
Proposed Standard, and we must have forgot that when drawing
the chart)

Here is the list of algorithm documents and how we view their
current status (alphabetical order):

- draft-hoeiland-joergensen-aqm-fq-codel : this has cleared
  "Gate-1", and is welcome for continued discussion, but is
  heavily focused on the FQ / scheduling aspect, and relies
  on CoDel as an AQM.  It could become an appendix to the CoDel
  draft, or proceed some other way.  Feedback about how folks
  want to handle this is very welcome.

- draft-lauten-aqm-gsp : this has cleared "Gate-1" and is
  welcome for continued discussion, but we haven't yet seen
  the interest from multiple parties towards progressing it

- draft-nichols-tsvwg-codel : this is ready for the "Gate-2"
  decision about WG adoption.  We have some significant
  concerns about whether editors are available to handle this
  through the working group, however.

- draft-pan-aqm-pie : this is ready for the "Gate-2" decision
  about WG adoption.

- draft-white-aqm-docsis-pie : this could either become an
  appendix to the draft-pan specification or could progress
  in parallel to it as an Informational description of what
  has been done, and shouldn't require much additional work.

We would like feedback right now on adopting:
1 - http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pan-aqm-pie-01
and
2 - http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nichols-tsvwg-codel-02

towards the charter milestone for submitting algorithm
specifications to the IESG.  Whether they are Proposed Standard
or Experimental can be debated now or later, but we want to
probe if there's critical mass to adopt them first.

--
Wes Eddy
MTI Systems