Re: [arch-d] I-D Action: draft-iab-protocol-maintenance-04.txt

"BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A" <db3546@att.com> Wed, 06 November 2019 21:14 UTC

From: "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A" <db3546@att.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, "iab@iab.org" <iab@iab.org>, "architecture-discuss@ietf.org" <architecture-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 21:14:08 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.70.249.177]
Subject: Re: [arch-d] I-D Action: draft-iab-protocol-maintenance-04.txt

+1 on Brian's points

I may be mis-reading Brian's conclusion, and will take the liberty to re-phrase - "even for a protocol actively maintained, we are not perfect".

I still have difficulty with the title of this document. As Brian says, much of the content of the draft is good. Active/responsible maintenance on our protocols - nothing wrong - totally agree. But to say "the robustness principle is harmful" because it encourages interoperability and discourages proper maintenance/new implementations doesn't parse for me. The title, while attention getting, simply doesn't make sense.

For me, the robustness principle has nothing to do with preventing new extensions on a protocol, it has everything to do with protecting existing deployments. The document's proposal "Choosing to generate fatal errors for unspecified conditions" may be appropriate for some protocols, it would cause a melt down of the network for other protocols. One of my working groups currently is doing a "fix" - and only because of the robustness principle, there have been no issues with current deployments. Sure, when the document was first done, it should have all been perfect. But we are not perfect, even after all the Area Directorate reviews and IESG reviews😊 Theory vs. practice.

RFC1958 is not the only RFC citing the robustness principle - it is in many many documents. How about this one on "The Twelve Networking Truths", unfortunately it is not as easily set to tune as a similar 12-days tune:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc1925/

Regards,
Deborah