Re: [AVTCORE] Possible Additional functionalities fordraft-brandenburg-avt-rtcp-for-idms

Fernando Boronat Seguí <fboronat@dcom.upv.es> Mon, 24 October 2011 12:17 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 14:17:17 +0200
From: Fernando Boronat Seguí <fboronat@dcom.upv.es>
To: Kevin Gross <kevin.gross@avanw.com>
Cc: avt@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] Possible Additional functionalities fordraft-brandenburg-avt-rtcp-for-idms

Dear members,

In order to move the discussion further, below I try to summarize the
different alternatives to obtain Intial Playout Instant Synchronization
for each stage in which we can divide a media session, that we have been
discussing about during the last week:

1. Our proposal: Use control packets already defined in the draft, or in
other RFCs or drafts, in order to obtain the mean one-way delay between
source and SCs. It would be an initial phase with exchange of control
packets, before the starting of the media session, i.e., the
transmission of RTP packets with valid media data.

2. Kevin Gross' proposal: As propagation time is often a function of
packet size, measuring with small RTCP packets won't give us the same
results as with larger packets containing media. One simpler way of
achieving coarse sync, and without modification to the IDMS proposal, is
to just start streaming with null media data. Once the MSAS receives
IDMS XR reports from all receivers and distributes sync information to
receivers and the receivers have done whatever they need to do to get in
sync, the sender can be queued to start sending real data.

Since the sender and all receivers have an NTP time reference, it is
possible to measure propagation time directly and both proposals would
work. As Kevin states, in his last mail to the list, our proposal will
potentially give us a quick assessment of parameters but since the
measurement conditions are different (unloaded) from operating
conditions (loaded), the accuracy may not be as good as in the method he
proposes.

We only need a reference of the maximum one-way delay between source and
SCs, not the exact value, as the initial playout instant will be larger
than that value (allowing receivers to have received enough media units
to guarantee a continuous playout, avoiding underflow/overflow
situations). So we are not sure that the level of accuracy is so
important here.

So, I would like to ask to the list members for choosing one of the
alternatives (or both) in order to go on working on and include the most
supported one in the I-D, if you agree, as a way to obtain initial
playout instant synchronization.

Thank you in advance.

Regards from Spain

--