Re: [AVT] Adoption of new milestones

"Van Caenegem, Tom (Tom)" <tom.van_caenegem@alcatel-lucent.com> Fri, 19 November 2010 10:31 UTC

From: "Van Caenegem, Tom (Tom)" <tom.van_caenegem@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Qin Wu <sunseawq@huawei.com>, "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com>, "avt@ietf.org" <avt@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:32:05 +0100
acceptlanguage: nl-NL, en-US
Subject: Re: [AVT] Adoption of new milestones

Hi Qin,

See my comments below
(Tom)..
Regards.

-----Original Message-----
From: Qin Wu [mailto:sunseawq@huawei.com]
Sent: vrijdag 19 november 2010 4:29
To: Van Caenegem, Tom (Tom); DRAGE, Keith (Keith); avt@ietf.org

Hi, Tom:
Thank you for feedback very early. :-)
I didn't say the sender/middlebox can not send feedback message to the upstream node like media source for some purpose,e.g., ask for retransmission of losted packet, but it is weird to ask the sender/middlebox send the same feedback message to upstream node and downstream receiver to ask for the lost packet at the same time . This cause scemantics confusion.

Tom: this is the definition of the NACK message in RFC 4585: "The Generic NACK is used to indicate the loss of one or more RTP packets".
So, if a entity declared itself to provide retransmissions, and it gets this NACK, it may send a corresponding retransmission as  response on receiving this NACK (RFC 4588). If an entity is "just" an RTP receiver for the considered SSRC and receives a NACK, it must act according to RFC 4585, which specifies how it should refrain from immediately sending a NACK, when it detected the same packet loss. There is no semantics confusion.

Feedback Indication message defined in draft-wu-avt-retransmission-suppression-rtp and receiver reports, Sender Report defined in RFC3550 and reciever summary  Information(RSI) packet defined in RFC5760 are all RTCP message. However Unlike receiver reports , and RSI packet, Feedback Indication message is one feedback message and more look like sender report. But it is confusing to mix RTCP AVPF transport layer Feedback messsage with Receiver report or any other kind of report.

As described in RFC4585
"
  Generic NACK feedback SHOULD NOT be used if the underlying transport
   protocol is capable of providing similar feedback information to *the
   sender* (as may be the case, e.g., with DCCP).

Tom: not sure what your message is here.. DCCP combining with multicast looks problematic.

 In many cases NACK is sent from media receiver at the downstream side to the media sender at the upstream side. e.g., In RAMS case, NACK is sent from RTP_Rx to the RBS to ask for Retransmission of lost packet. However you can not expect the RBS to send the NACK to the RTP_Rx to ask for Retransmission of lost packet.

Tom: as defined in RFC 4585, and explained above, a NACK is NOT about asking retransmission, it is about packet loss reporting.

Tom: in the RAMS case, the BRS/FT will most likely be decoupled from the DS. If you want the BRS/FT to advertise the observed packet loss to the RTP receivers reporting to this FT, how will you get that message to the RTP receivers? This is one of the issues that need to be solved/defined, and I have not seen this addressed in the draft...

becos the RTP_Rx is not sender from the RBS perspective. But if RBS ask for retransmission of lost packet from the media source, the RBS take the role of the receiver from the media source perspective. But It is confusing to look at RBS as Receiver from both Media source perspective and RTP_Rx perspective.

This had been discussed in the previous meeting and mailing list for many times. It is not just my personal view.
As for the other feedback message like Picture Loss Indication (PLI) and Slice Loss Indication (SLI), they are both sent from downstream decoder to the upstream encoder. But In the draft-wu-avt-retransmission-suppression-rtp,
we do need a RTCP Indication message sent from upstream sender to the downstream RTP_Rx.

As for the additional RTT issues, this issues had been discussed very eraly, please look at the following link to this discussion:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg13299.html

Tom: I know all this. I responded on your assertion that if the middle box sends a NACK to indicate suppression indication -iso a dedicated RTCP message-, this has additional RTT delay. This is incorrect if the packet loss took place upstream of the middle box.

As for the last point you mentioned, as I explained, RFC4585 just provide the receiver with one algorithm on how to schedule its own feedback when the receiver is the same group with other receivers. However when packet loss happens close to media source, all the recievers may send feedback almost at the same time concurrently, it does not make sense to ask all the recievers listen on this problem when all the reciever have already sent the feedback message out.

Tom: I agree, and again,  having the middle box sending a NACK to all receivers iso of the suppression indication will result in the same behaviour at the receivers. Unless you want a receiver behaviour different from the one defined in RFC 4585.

You may also look at the figure 1 and section 5 of RFC5968, you can see Sender Report in the downsream direction and Receiver Report  in the upstream direction construct the complete Feedback Loop.
But you can not expect to use one NACK message in both directions to construct the Feedback Loop.

Tom: do not agree: if a middelbox also acts as receiver in a multi party session, it sends its RTCP reports to all participants, resulting in FB suppression as per RFC 4585.

Hope this clarifies.

Tom: not really.....so where do we go from here? To me it would make sense to explain more in a generic way how feedback storms in multi-point RTP sessions (including SSM) can be prevented or mitigated  (see http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg13785.html ), see where it would make sense to have an explicit suppression indication rather than using NACK (or other FB message) for this, and -very important - also elaborate how the suppression indication/NACK is provided to the receivers (e.g. the RAMS topology). I suggest therefore to rename the draft as "feedback suppression in multi-point sessions", and address the items as per above.

Regards!
-Qin