Re: [Banana] Reaching Consensus on Problem Statement

Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch> Fri, 03 February 2017 10:09 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 11:09:15 +0100
To: Mingui Zhang <zhangmingui@huawei.com>
Cc: Michael Menth <menth@uni-tuebingen.de>, "banana@ietf.org" <banana@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Banana] Reaching Consensus on Problem Statement

hi Mingui, Michael, all,

inline below...

> On 03 Feb 2017, at 10:40, Mingui Zhang <zhangmingui@huawei.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Michael,

Speaking personally, no Seoul-BoF-chair or other hats on:

Let me slightly restate the question here. Will a BANANA-balanced network with two links to the Internet with available downstream data rates A and B (such that A >= B) will ever need to support a single flow with a sustained data rate > A?

If not, we can take existing work on per-flow load balancing off the self. If so, we need to invent something.

In scenarios where there is no dominant flow, or where A >> B, the extra complexity of splitting flows across links is not worth the additional complexity. However, in scenarios where one flow dominates, i.e., the majority of the data rate demand is covered by a single flow, and where rates A and B are relatively comparable, per-flow load balancing leaves a lot of available bandwidth on the table, and the complexity tradeoff becomes more worth it.

So for me this question reduces to which scenario is more common.

Cheers,

Brian