[bmwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful-03.txt

internet-drafts@ietf.org Tue, 27 June 2023 16:19 UTC

From: internet-drafts@ietf.org
To: i-d-announce@ietf.org
Cc: bmwg@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 09:19:43 -0700
Subject: [bmwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful-03.txt

directories. This Internet-Draft is a work item of the Benchmarking
Methodology (BMWG) WG of the IETF.

   Title           : Benchmarking Methodology for Stateful NATxy Gateways using RFC 4814 Pseudorandom Port Numbers
   Authors         : Gábor Lencse
                     Keiichi Shima
   Filename        : draft-ietf-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful-03.txt
   Pages           : 28
   Date            : 2023-06-27

Abstract:
   RFC 2544 has defined a benchmarking methodology for network
   interconnect devices.  RFC 5180 addressed IPv6 specificities and it
   also provided a technology update, but excluded IPv6 transition
   technologies.  RFC 8219 addressed IPv6 transition technologies,
   including stateful NAT64.  However, none of them discussed how to
   apply RFC 4814 pseudorandom port numbers to any stateful NATxy
   (NAT44, NAT64, NAT66) technologies.  We discuss why using
   pseudorandom port numbers with stateful NATxy gateways is a difficult
   problem.  We recommend a solution limiting the port number ranges and
   using two test phases (phase 1 and phase 2).  We show how the classic
   performance measurement procedures (e.g. throughput, frame loss rate,
   latency, etc.) can be carried out.  We also define new performance
   metrics and measurement procedures for maximum connection
   establishment rate, connection tear down rate and connection tracking
   table capacity measurements.

The IETF datatracker status page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful-03

https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url2=draft-ietf-bmwg-benchmarking-stateful-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts