Re: [bmwg] Comment on meth-18.

"Kris Michielsen" <kmichiel@cisco.com> Mon, 20 July 2009 10:29 UTC

From: Kris Michielsen <kmichiel@cisco.com>
To: "'McLendon, John'" <John.McLendon@spirent.com>, 'Al Morton' <acmorton@att.com>, bmwg@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 12:27:28 +0200
Subject: Re: [bmwg] Comment on meth-18.

Hi John,

My view on it is as follows.

Let's take an example of an IGP adjacency loss. When looking at the Forwarding Rate over all routes, we derive the following graph
of Fwd Rate vs time. The Fwd Rate on Preferred Egress and Next-Best Egress are indicated. This is a general case since it doesn't
cause instantaneous traffic drop for all routes on the Convergence Event Instant (CEI).
At CEI the Tester stops rx/tx IGP hellos. At time Ta traffic starts dropping for the first route Rta (observed on Preferred Egress
Interface) and for this example traffic forwarding for Rta starts on Next-Best Egress Interface starts at time Ta'. Depending on the
DUT implementation this can be anywere between First Route Convergence Instant and Convergence Recovery Instant (see also discussion
in meth-18, Section 4).

     ^
Fwd  |
Rate |-------------                    ............
     |             \                  .
     |              \                .
     |               \              .
     |                \            .
     |.................-.-.-.-.-.-.----------------
     +----+-------+---------------+----------------->
     ^    ^       ^               ^             time
     T0  CEI      Ta              Ta'

     Preferred Egress Interface: ---
     Next-Best Egress Interface: ...

This is also indicated in the graph below of the rx rate for route Rta only.

     ^
rx   |
rate |-------------               .................
Rta  |            |               .
     |            |               .
     |.............-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.----------------
     +----+-------+---------------+----------------->
     ^    ^       ^               ^             time
     T0  CEI      Ta              Ta'

     Preferred Egress Interface: ---
     Next-Best Egress Interface: ...

The goal is to derive the time between CEI and Ta' (convergence time of Rta). When only observing traffic on Next-Best Egress
Interface, we only have the dotted graph (...) above.
An obvious way to derive convergence time is to collect a timestamp at CEI and use that for Rate-Derived Method. For the
loss-derived methods, we need to measure the time between T0 and CEI and substract that from the duration of the loss period
observed on the Next-Best Egress Interface.
Another way is to start dropping packets at Convergence Event Instant. Then the convergence time is equal to the loss of
connectivity period duration and we can observe traffic on all DUT egress interfaces.
In the graph below the "=" curve is the
There are To derived convergence time of route Rta from Next-Best Egress observation only, we can calculate Ta'need the duration of
the time period between T0 (start of traffic) and CEI.

         ^
         | ====                            ............
Fwd Rate |    |                           .
         |    |                          .
         |    |                         .
         |    |                        .
         | ....=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.================

         +----+-----------------------+----------------->
              ^                       ^
             CEI                     Ta'

         ^
         | ====                       .................
rx rate  |    |                       .
Rta      |    |                       .
         | ...=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=================

         +----+-----------------------+----------------->
              ^                       ^
             CEI                     Ta'

          ^
          |----------------                  ........................
rx rate   |               |                  .
Rtb       |               |                  .
          |................-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-----------------------

          +---------------+------------------+----------------------->
              ^           ^                  ^
              |          Tb                 Tb'