Amsterdam WG query

ULLMANN@PROCESS.COM (Robert L Ullmann) Thu, 06 May 1993 20:09 UTC

Sender: ipv7-request@world.std.com
Date: Thu, 06 May 1993 16:06:00 -0400
From: ULLMANN@PROCESS.COM
To: ipv7@world.std.com
Cc: big-internet@munnari.oz.au
Subject: Amsterdam WG query

Hi,

I have been asked to determine more accurately the interest level
in a (proposed) WG meeting in Amsterdam for IPv7 (and RAP, initially).

Please send me a note if you are planning on attending Amsterdam and
are interested in the WG meeting. If you are one of the people already
involved in the project, please respond anyway (i.e. don't assume I
will count you) because I don't know yet if you are going to the IETF.

Following is the DRAFT charter that has been submitted to the Area
Directorate.

Best Regards,
Robert Ullmann
Ariel@Process.COM

Intl:  +1 508 879 2960 x226
in US:  (800) 722-7770 x226

Internet Protocol Version 7 (ipv7)

Charter

Chair:
	Vladimir Sukonnik	<Sukonnik@Process.COM>

Internet Area Directors:
	Stev Knowles		<stev@ftp.com>
	David Piscitello	<dave@mail.bellcore.com>

Mailing List:
	Discussion:	ipv7@world.std.com
	Archive:	world.std.com:/pub/ipv7/...

Description of Working Group:

	Internet Version 7 is a new version of the IP and TCP/UDP
	protocols, to advance the Internet technology to the scale
	and performance of the next generation of internetwork technology.

	The IPv7 project was started in 1988 to speculate on what a new
	version might look like, as it was becoming clear that version
	4 would presently be reaching its limits.

	The specification (including RAP, TCP extensions, and the AD plan
	now in separate drafts) was circulated informally in late 1989,
	and again in 1990 and 1991. It was then issued as an internet-draft
	in August 1992.

	The Working Group is chartered to evaluate issues arising during
	product development and deployment planning, and to document problems
	and explanations for any parts of the coexistance with IPv4 not
	covered directly in the IPv7-IPv4 interoperation design.

	The WG will also be the initial forum for development of the RAP
	protocol while it is experimental; this work will need to be moved
	to the Routing Area when it is to be advanced.

	The WG is also chartered to provide an open industry forum for
	coordination of commercial deployment plans.

Goals and Milestones:

Mar 93		(26th IETF) Issue revised internet drafts, plenary
		presentation. (completed)

Apr 93		Issue Experimental RFCs for IPv7 and RAP. (Approved
		by IESG, sent to RFC editor)

Jun 93		Start of RAP deployment.

Jul 93		(27th IETF, first WG meeting) Discuss additional definitions
		needed, e.g. TCP SACK and TS options, LSRR and others for
		IP layer. Possible AD allocation plan. Report on ongoing
		experimentation. Either recommend to IESG that IPv7 be
		advanced to Proposed Standard, or determine detailed
		criteria to be met prior to recommendation.

Nov 93		(28th IETF) Preliminary vendor deployment coordination.
		Review advancement criteria, make recommendation to IESG.
		Revised I-Ds for options and planning due prior to IETF.
		Review status and WG assignment of RAP protocol.

Jan 94		Start of IPv7 deployment.

Internet Drafts:

Posted	Revised		I-D Title <filename>
Aug 92	Mar 93		<draft-ullmann-ipv7-03.txt>
			TCP/IP: Internet Version 7

Feb 93	Mar 93		<draft-ullmann-rap-01.txt>
			RAP: Route Access Protocol