RE: [T1X1.5] Re: Suppression of Downstream Alarms...

"George Young" <george.young@meriton.com> Wed, 21 November 2001 16:15 UTC

Subject: RE: [T1X1.5] Re: Suppression of Downstream Alarms...
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:15:02 -0500
From: George Young <george.young@meriton.com>
To: ccamp@ops.ietf.org

A couple of my mail message on this subject were bounced whilst I was
in the process of changing email address to correspond with my company's
new name.

2 Attachments:

 <<RE: [T1X1.5] Re: Suppression of Downstream Alarms...>>  <<RE:
[T1X1.5] Re: Suppression of Downstream Alarms...>>
--- Begin Message ---
Hello Carmine,

For span protection, LMP can stand on its own, localizing the fault,
making sure
that both ends of the fault span know about the failure.

In a transparent network (which is where my company is focused), the
node at the receive
end of a faulty link, and any nodes downstream (in the data flow
direction) become aware
of the fault, so one end of the path knows almost immediately.

For path protection, there would still be a need for signalling to the
other end. The benefit
of using LMP to localize the fault, is that only one node need initiate
the signalling to the
head and the tail of the connection to toggle to the backup path.

Regards,
George R. Young
Meriton Networks Inc.
329 March Rd., Kanata, ON, Canada, K2K 2E1
phone: +1 613-270-9279 Ext 287