RE: Suppression of Downstream Alarms...

Jonathan Lang <jplang@calient.net> Wed, 21 November 2001 00:23 UTC

From: Jonathan Lang <jplang@calient.net>
To: 'Carmine Daloia' <daloia@lucent.com>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Cc: tsg15q11@itu.int, t1x15@t1.org
Subject: RE: Suppression of Downstream Alarms...
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:23:58 -0800

Carmine,
  Please see inline.

Thanks,
Jonathan

great!

> If we look at standard networks (both SONET/SDH and OTN), this
> capability is already provided by the overhead in SDH/SONET and G.709
> OTN. G.709 OTN handles suppression of alarms in both all-optical
> networks as well as opaque networks. I don't think we need to burden the
> control plane with such functions when the transport plane handles this
> in standard networks. In fact the transport plane handles suppression of
> alarms on all equipment in the network (not just cross-connects).
>
> If we look at a pre-OTN ("non-standard") scenario consisting of
> Cross-connects, Optical Line Systems, and Optical Amplifiers supporting
> a DWDM networked solution, we can analyze two scenarios. One scenario is
> an opaque network (e.g., the OLS supports 3R). In this scenario, the
> downstream Cross-connects would not detect LOL upon faults occurring
> upstream. The 3R points on the OLS Line Systems would insert some type
> of signal downstream. Therefore the mechanism described in Section 6.2
> does not apply. Another scenario is an all-optical pre-OTN network. Note
> that other equipment besides Cross-connects (e.g., Optical Amplifiers)
> in an all-optical network may alarm due to upstream faults. These alarms
> also need to be suppressed. LMP seems to only address the suppression of
> downstream alarms on cross-connects without taking into consideration
> the network that sits between the cross-connects. Is LMP also expected
> to have to be processed on Optical Amplifiers? This seems to be
> undesirable, especially given all the various applications that seem to
> be included into the LMP protocol that would not have anything to do
> with Optical Amplifieris.
For interaction between cross-connects and Line Systems, please see OLI
Requirements document
(http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-many-oli-reqts-00.txt) and
corresponding LMP-WDM protocol document (new version to be uploaded
tomorrow, but old version can be found at
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fredette-lmp-wdm-02.txt).