RE: Moving right along ...

"Mannie, Eric" <Eric.Mannie@ebone.com> Tue, 23 October 2001 15:12 UTC

From: "Mannie, Eric" <Eric.Mannie@ebone.com>
To: 'Juergen Heiles' <juergen.heiles@ties.itu.int>, 'Kireeti Kompella' <kireeti@juniper.net>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: Moving right along ...
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:12:05 +0200

Juergen,

I am answering to your e-mails exactly because I am the editor of these
documents. Some people don't want to answer anymore. Answering or not to
e-mails is a personal decision of each one, nobody is forced to answer.

You had the feedback from the mailing list. In general when people are happy
with what they saw they don't spend time to add more comments.

Your proposals were supported by you and Maarten. I answered with Dimitri.
It is easy of course (for all of us) to ask all our colleagues and friends
to flood a mailing list.

Concerning your request to move the group signals to the other draft: this
was answered publicly by Kireeti during the last CCAMP meeting and the
answer was no. I asked again to Kireeti a couple of weeks ago, same answer.
This is also the advice that I received from Rob.

Concerning your label proposal: details are not yet cooked from our (I and
Dimitri) point of view (e.g. when using an STS-4 SPE Forwarding Adjacency
there is no second STS-3 group, sorry if my example was confusing). Your
text needs to be corrected but that's a detail, it just shows that it is
quite difficult to write a text that works in all cases.

We spend a considerable amount of time reviewing the current label encoding
and we made sure that it works in the craziest cases. Indeed, this is the
most stable part of the SDH/SONET draft since a very long time. By adopting
your proposal we will have to do it again for no additional benefit and we
will need another WG last call (you know it perfectly). That's why I refused
during the WG last call some months ago, and why I am refusing again.

As an editor my job is also to keep the boat in the middle of the river and
to make sure that drafts are progressing and are not being constantly
re-worded. Also, I don't want to force all manufacturers to change their
implementations (prototypes:-) of the SONET label just because you found
another way of encoding it. One solution or the other is more a matter of
personal feeling.

At this stage, as a co-author you should be more concerned by finishing this
work. We can spend years having new ideas, improving and proposing
modifications to a draft.

It is a fact that we spend a huge amount of time (for me it represents
months of work since the beginning of year 2000) fine-tuning this draft. Now
it is time to publish it.

>From the technical point of view your proposals versus keeping the current
text will not change anything. It started as a political issue and I hope
that it didn't become a personal issue.

I am just asking you to help us to publish this work, even if it is not 100%
as you would like to see it.

Kind regards,

Eric

even more

> - about automatic detection:
>
> Indeed, you either configure a box with a signal structure, or if
> implemented you can ask to the box to discover itself the structure (what
> you call automatic detection).

For groups the box has to discover the structure itself.

> Automatic detection is a process applied internally to a box, and this is
> totally invisible to any other box in the network. This is an
> implementation
> issue, not a protocol issue since the protocol defines everyhting you need
> to do it.
>
> I understand your frustration that SDH standards don't describe all the
> processes for an implementation, but in general standards don't touch that
> part.

SDH and Sonet standards define detailed equipment functionality in order to
ensure interworking.
ITU has for example G.783 that defeins in detail what to do in SDH
equipment. Even G.707 gives some details
on pointer processing (genration, interpretation). For SONET we have GR-253
from Telcordia which provides this details.
No of them mentiones automatic detection.

> Automatic detection is a matter of reading the standard and understanding
> how the multiplexing works. By the way, you explained it yourself
> very well.
>
> The fact that a process is not described in some SDH standards has no
> meaning, it is simply not relevant. Every manufacturer is free to do its
> implementation as he likes if the protocol is fullfilled, and this is the
> case.
>
> - about the comparison of automatic detection and transparency:
>
> You are comparing apples with chocolates. Transparency may require to
> transport bytes in unused bytes, so in that case it changes the overhead.
> Automatic detection is an internal process.
>
> - You wrote: "During errors (defects, AIS condtions) of individual singals
> of a group (e.g. one VC-12 in a TUG3 fails) it can get problematic."
>
> and I already answered many times: a super signal (group signal) is one
> single LSP. If something fails inside everything fails. In that case you
> don't need to demultiplex anymore, you just protect/restore the whole (if
> required). A group signal is a signaling plane object, i.e. one
> single LSP.

I mentioned the case that the problem is outside your LSP. You get for
example a signal from a user and setup a group LSP.
Now due to problems on the user side one of the VCs has AIS, may be the user
isn't even using this VC currently. You cannot protect it as the problem is
outside the LSP. If you now drop all other VCs of this group your user would
be very happy I assume.

> - Can you present me any ITU/ANSI standard that defines automatic
> detection
> of the group structure?
>
> No need, this is not in the scope of ITU/ANSI standards.

Are you defining what is in the scope of ITU/ANSI standards?
This is in the scope of ITU/ANSI/Telcordia standards. Look on G.707 pointer
interpretation, G.783 and GR-253 as mentioned above. When we talk about
standard SONET/SDH it includes the equipment functionality. For ETSI we even
have compliance statements that go down to these details.
I have no problems when soemone implements this feature, but we should no
give the impression that this is a standard SONET/SDH feature by putting it
into the standard features document. Move it to the non-standard document.

> - You wrote " You haven't provided a reason for different lables. We had
> several people that wanted to have the same label structure and only you
> opposed. So what is rough consensus?"
>
> The labels are local per interface, so they are "different" by definition
> since an SDH interface is not a Sonet interface.

A SONET STS-1 and a SDH STM-0, a SONET STS-3n and a SDH STM-N with AU-3 have
the identical structure.
But with the current proposal we have to use different lables. Is this
simple?

> However, we
> defined the two
> label formats based on the same principles, i.e. the first field is the
> index of the first AUG-1/STS-1 (easy). We chosen not to indicate any level
> of higher order multiplexing (e.g. STM-4, STM-16, STS-3, etc) because this
> is not needed and less flexible. A label is just a simple pointer in the
> multiplex, how to interpret the content of what is pointed to is
> not defined
> by the label.

I just took the SDH AU3 case and used it for SONET. So if you see a problem
it would already apply to the defined SDH lable.

> Using your proposal we would introduce a particular case, and in that case
> there is no reason why we should not introduce other particular
> case (AUG-4,
> etc). At the end we would have something totally unreadable.
>
> Your proposal has also some issues, e.g. with your definition of the S
> field:
>
> "1. S is the index of a particular AUG-1/STS-3 group. S=1->N
>     indicates a specific AUG-1/STS-3 group inside an STM-N/STS-3xN
>     multiplex. For example, S=1 indicates the first AUG-1/STS-3 group,
>     and S=N indicates the last AUG-1/STS-3 group of this multiplex.
>     S is not significant for STM-0/STS-1.
>
> What happens if a link is not a a multiple of 3xN STS-1 ? For instance, a
> virtual link (e.g. a Forwarding Adjacency) could be an STS-5 or an STS-4.
> There is no real second STS-3 group. Your proposal is not
> appropriate to the
> level of flexibility that we want to provide. Another observations: our
> undrestanding of the label is that it is defined before any interleaving,
> not after.

Oh, suddently we have STS-4, STS-4 virtual links poping up, interesting. But
couldn't we also have virtual SDH signals with only 5 AU-3?
I don't know as I don't have any information about this virtual link
concept. But if you introduce something like this there should be no
difference between SONET and SDH. Otherwise we introduce new differences
between SONET and SDH that we tried to avoid now for some years (see
Deborahs e-mail). We learned from the mistakes made during the development
of SONET and SDH. In todays global world we don't want these differences.
And that is the reason why we propose to use a common lable. Don't make the
same mistakes again. So if you see a problem it also applies to the defined
SDH label.

> I am opposed because your proposal doesn't bring any new functionality.
> There are probably 100 ways of coding such a label for SDH and Sonet. We
> discussed it during one year,
The proposal to use a common lable is already disucssed for several month
(over 1/2 year) as soon as we got involved in the GMPLS discussions.

> we agreed on the current one because it is
> simple, easy to understand, easy to code and very flexible (and more
> important we never broke it !!!). We validate it, it is stable
> since a very
> long time. Why should we accept your way of coding it, and not the way of
> somebody else at this final stage ?

To use a common label is the only alternative proposal we have, no others.
It makes a lot of sense and is supported by several people on the list. Up
to know only oppossed by you. Again what is rough consensus?