Re: LCAS and draft-mannie-ccamp-gmpls-lbm-tdm-00.txt

Maarten Vissers <mvissers@lucent.com> Tue, 20 November 2001 07:53 UTC

To: ccamp <ccamp@ops.ietf.org>, "t1x1.5" <t1x15@t1.org>, q11/15 <tsg15q11@itu.int>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:53:51 +0100
From: Maarten Vissers <mvissers@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: LCAS and draft-mannie-ccamp-gmpls-lbm-tdm-00.txt

All,

Let me describe briefly the interactions in the transport plane that cause the
traffic interruption when LCAS is not used.

You get a traffic interruption if the sink doesn't know exactly at which point
in the
bitstream it has to start reading from the additional connection, or stop
reading from the to be removed connection.

A path termination/adaptation source function generates a fixed signal label.
When you set up a connection via GMPLS you first reserve the matrix connections
in the fabrics between source and sink path terminations in both directions
(Resv A => Z). Then in the Resv return direction (Z => A), the matrix
connections are committed (i.e. established). This implies that the at the
Z-endpoint the path source is connected to the connection and when the last
matrix connection is established, the path sink at A-endpoint receives a signal
with an equipped-specific signal label. Note that the last fabric may be located
in another equipment than the path endpoint.

At the moment the last matrix connection is closed (in both directions), also
the Z-end will receive a signal with eq-spec signal label.

It then takes about 3 frames to detect the new pointer value (which is
different). Once found, it then takes 0..2 frames to remove AIS insertion. Once
removed, it then takes 3..10 (typically 5) frames to clear the dUNEQ defect,
another 0..2
frames to remove AIS insertion, then some time to align to the multiframe and
get the delay compensating buffer adjusted correctly.

If there are any bits inserted by the source during this period, you are loosing
bits. If the source is not transmitting bits over this connection during this
period, the sink may start reading from the connection before the source is
inserting bits. Again the transmission of the client signal is interrupted.

If you intent to change the equipment and SDH standards (sometimes this implies
a SW modification, sometimes it will be a HW modification) and force C2 in the
path termination source to 0x00 until the connection is setup, you can not
verify if the connection is setup while the path sink is still in signal fail
condition (dUNEQ is detected). If the hardware let you read the received TTI,
you may go around this verification phase issue.

But when you insert at the source client bits into the additional connection at
the time you change the 0x00 value in C2 to the eq-spec value, you will still
have the sink at the other end  detecting dUNEQ (takes 3..10 frames to clear),
inserting AIS (takes 0..2 frames to stop), and have its delay compensating
buffer being in a kind of free run out of service state until the AIS insertion
is stopped. After that moment, the process needs to frame align, detect the
phase difference, adjusts its buffer and then it is ready to support
transmission.

LCAS is designed under the knowledge that the connection is up and running, the
buffer process is fully aligned and when it is told at which time (i.e. bit
position) the bits should be read from the additional connection it will be able
to do so without loosing a single bit.

Hope this explains things a bit more.

Regards,

Maarten