Re: [CCAMP] poll on makingdraft-zhang-mpls-tp-rsvpte-ext-associated-lsp-04 a WG document

Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net> Wed, 13 April 2011 13:11 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 09:11:49 -0400
From: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
To: Fatai Zhang <zhangfatai@huawei.com>
Cc: ccamp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] poll on makingdraft-zhang-mpls-tp-rsvpte-ext-associated-lsp-04 a WG document

Fatai,
	You raise a reasonable question.

In general, the reason to have separate documents is really about how we
expect implementations/usage to occur *after* the documents become RFCs.
 In particular, we generally follow the practice that if the functions
will typically be implemented/required as a set, then the functions
should be published as a single document; and if the functions are
completely separable, then they should be published as separate RFCs.
This is important from a conformance statement perspective (a whole RFC
is supported, not sections X, Y and Z of and RFC).

Am important related consideration is avoiding interoperability issues
seen in the past with subset implementations. In particular, we try
avoid the case where two implementations that state conformance to the
same RFC cannot interoperate to provide the same function.

Of course these are just general principles.

So if we ask the question will the functions covered in (2) and the
draft being polled always be implemented as a set.  Given
draft-ietf-ccamp-rsvp-resource-sharing, I suspect the answer is no.

Given this perspective, do you still believe that merging the drafts is
a good idea?

Lou