[CDNi] Ben Campbell's Discuss on draft-ietf-cdni-logging-25: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> Wed, 18 May 2016 22:32 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 15:32:57 -0700
Cc: draft-ietf-cdni-logging@ietf.org, cdni@ietf.org, cdni-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: [CDNi] Ben Campbell's Discuss on draft-ietf-cdni-logging-25: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-cdni-logging-25: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cdni-logging/

DISCUSS:

While the security and privacy bits are much improved from earlier
versions, I think I have found some holes. I assume these are not
intentional, and it's entirely possible I have misread some things. But I
would like to make sure they are considered prior to progressing.

- 3.4.1, c-groupid: The privacy-related guidance about c-groupids
indentifying individual clients (in the several bullet list entries with
"-" bullets) seems contingent on the MAY in the parent (with the "+"
bullet.) The parent says that you MAY structure the field so that parts
identify the aggregate and one part aggregates the individual, with the
sub-bullets following an "In this case..." clause. I assume the guidance
is intended to apply even when an implementation doesn't structure
c-groupid that way (or at all.)

- 7.1: This section seems to effectively say that various protections are
required when they are required. But it doesn't give advice on when they
may be required. (For example, when c-groupid can be mapped to individual
client addresses.)

- 7.3: "Making detailed CDNI logging
   information known to the uCDN does not represent a particular privacy
   concern because the uCDN is already exposed at request redirection
   time to most of the information that shows up as CDNI logging
   information (e.g., enduser IP@, URL, HTTP headers - at least when
   HTTP redirection is used between uCDN and dCDN)."

I agree this is mostly true for HTTP redirection. But as you mention, the
assertion seems to fall down for DNS redirection, where the uCDN may have
considerably less information. I think some different guidance for that
case may be needed.

-- "Transporting
   detailed CDNI logging information over the HTTP based CDNI Logging
   Interface does not represent a particular privacy concern because it
   is protected by usual IETF privacy-protection mechanism (e.g.,TLS)."

I don't find normative text that says privacy-sensitive information MUST
be protected. Just that information that needs to be protected MUST be
protected. The reader is left to infer that privacy-sensitive information
is covered by that. (See previous comment about 7.1). Without something
explicit there, I think it highly likely that some people will
rationalize that their deployments don't need protection for one reason
or another.

COMMENT:

- 3.3, 2nd to last paragraph: What does it mean to reject a logging file?
Does it mean to simply ignore it, or does it imply some notice back the
source of the file that there's a problem? (I tend to think of "reject"
as implying the latter in a protocol, in contrast to words like "drop" or
"ignore".)

- 3.4.1, 3rd "-" bullet: "The algorithmic mapping and variation over time
MAY allow
               the uCDN ... to reconstruct the actual client IPv4 or IPv6
address"

Is that intended to be a 2119 MAY or a statement of fact? If the former,
it seems to directly contradict the NOT RECOMMENDED in the next "-"
bullet..