Re: [clue] New Version Notification for draft-kyzivat-clue-telemedical-callflow-00.txt

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu> Fri, 14 September 2012 15:32 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 11:32:08 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
To: "Espen Berger (espeberg)" <espeberg@cisco.com>
Cc: CLUE <clue@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [clue] New Version Notification for draft-kyzivat-clue-telemedical-callflow-00.txt

On 9/14/12 10:36 AM, Espen Berger (espeberg) wrote:
> My main point is that the initial INVITE can be sufficient for a call with CLUE negotiated media stream.
>
> One of the exceptions we have discussed is the requirement to upgrade bandwidth to allow for three camera/screen scenarios, which is typically not something you allocate in the network before you really knows it's needed. In this case the re-INVITE is optional and there a clear user story to explain why and when we want to do it.
>
> I think necessary, and useful, to write down user stories to explain why a SIP re-INVITE is needed.  With user stories it's much easier to discuss how to solve actual problems with protocols.

My thinking is that all of the reinvite/o/a's are potentially optional:
if the existing SDP is compatible with new advertisement/configuration
than the o/a can be omitted. But in principle the SDP might need to
change. So to start I put those in. When the details are filled in the
redundant ones can be omitted.

But one thing I wanted to explore is the timing relationship between
advertisements/configs and O/As. I see a number of possibilities:

- each config *may* demand an SDP change. If so, we need to decide if:
   * the SDP change must precede the config change
   * the SDP change must follow the config change
   * additions to the SDP must precede the config change,
     and deletions from the SDP must follow the config change

- config changes never require SDP changes because there is requirement
   that SDP be compatible with *any* possible configuration of the
   advertisement. Each advertisement *may* demand an SDP change.
   If so, we need to decide if: (alternatives analogous to those above)

ISTM that different configurations of the same advertisement can demand
widely divergent sets of resources. So I think it must be configurations
that drive SDP changes.

	Thanks,
	Paul