Re: [codec] possible issues to track

Jean-Marc Valin <jean-marc.valin@usherbrooke.ca> Fri, 26 March 2010 00:09 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:08:11 -0400
From: Jean-Marc Valin <jean-marc.valin@usherbrooke.ca>
To: stephen botzko <stephen.botzko@gmail.com>
Cc: "bens@alum.mit.edu" <bens@alum.mit.edu>, Codec WG <codec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [codec] possible issues to track

Just to clarify my last email, I think we're actually mostly in
agreement here. We already know that we can do stereo just by using
independent channels, so that would be the basic requirement. From
there, it should just be up to the working group to decide whether any
proposed stereo (or even >2 channel) coupling is worth the extra
complexity it adds. If there's a way to get large savings from a simple
enough coupling, then we should use it. If it turns out that we can't
save more than a few bits, we just drop the idea. Makes sense?

	Jean-Marc