Re: [codec] Codec proposal: draft-valin-celt-codec-00.txt

Jean-Marc Valin <jean-marc.valin@usherbrooke.ca> Sun, 05 July 2009 12:16 UTC

Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 08:17:18 -0400
From: Jean-Marc Valin <jean-marc.valin@usherbrooke.ca>
To: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
Cc: "codec@ietf.org" <codec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [codec] Codec proposal: draft-valin-celt-codec-00.txt

Stephan Wenger a écrit :
> Three things that will hopefully be seen as constructive :-):
> First, posting reference code in text format, while quite common in speech
> standards, is not that overly helpful IMHO, especially considering the
> number of lines of code.  At least during the I-D phase, a reference to an
> URL where one can retrieve a stable version of the code, plus a promise to
> copy-paste that code into a final RFC if that were the consensus, seems to
> suffice.

I agree that the 72-column text format isn't great for source code (took
me a while just to make it fit!). Right now, the source code in the RFC
actually differs from the downloadable code in that it has been
simplified to only support floating point (the main reference code can
switch from float to fixed-point through macros). In any case if the
consensus is to leave it out during drafting, that's what I'll do.

> Second, if you add code into your I-D, it would IMHO make sense if you would
> start using the required license---a BSD derivate.  While I personally
> appreciate your very broad license, it is not directly compatible with the
> BSD license we require for code sections of RFCs.

Not sure what you mean here. The license on the files I appended *is*
the BSD license.

> Third, it would be helpful if you would explicitly state what part of your
> I-D actually is the normative specification: source code, or textual
> description.  I note that in most ITU and 3GPP speech codec standards, the
> code is actually setting the normative standard, and the textual description
> is informative.  If I recall correctly, in the IETF's LBC effort the same
> holds (I didn't check this---too lazy).  To me, using source code as the
> normative standard makes sense---for speech coding only.  If that's what is
> intended here, please make sure that it is prominently advertised.

Actually, I couldn't find such a statement in iLBC (though I may have
missed it). Unless there's a good reason not to do that that I'm unaware
of, I agree that it's safer to make the C code normative.

Cheers,

	Jean-Marc