Re: [codec] Codec proposal: draft-valin-celt-codec-00.txt

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Sun, 05 July 2009 04:54 UTC

Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 21:54:28 -0700
From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: Jean-Marc Valin <jean-marc.valin@usherbrooke.ca>, "codec@ietf.org" <codec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [codec] Codec proposal: draft-valin-celt-codec-00.txt

Hi,
Three things that will hopefully be seen as constructive :-):
First, posting reference code in text format, while quite common in speech
standards, is not that overly helpful IMHO, especially considering the
number of lines of code.  At least during the I-D phase, a reference to an
URL where one can retrieve a stable version of the code, plus a promise to
copy-paste that code into a final RFC if that were the consensus, seems to
suffice.
Second, if you add code into your I-D, it would IMHO make sense if you would
start using the required license---a BSD derivate.  While I personally
appreciate your very broad license, it is not directly compatible with the
BSD license we require for code sections of RFCs.
Third, it would be helpful if you would explicitly state what part of your
I-D actually is the normative specification: source code, or textual
description.  I note that in most ITU and 3GPP speech codec standards, the
code is actually setting the normative standard, and the textual description
is informative.  If I recall correctly, in the IETF's LBC effort the same
holds (I didn't check this---too lazy).  To me, using source code as the
normative standard makes sense---for speech coding only.  If that's what is
intended here, please make sure that it is prominently advertised.
Regards,
Stephan