Re: [codec] Individuals and hats

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Thu, 14 April 2011 14:42 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 07:42:22 -0700
From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: Steve Underwood <steveu@coppice.org>
Cc: codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] Individuals and hats

There was an email to this very list, 11/11/2009.

It appears to me that a possible user of G.719 needs to contact both
rightholder companies to obtain a license.  The Polycom license contains
certain "attribution" requirements.  This requirement makes the license
compatible with some, but by no means with all business models (or open
source licenses, for that matter).  That is one reason why I argued so
strongly in the past to bear in mind aspects other than monetary
compensation--the RF dimension is only one of many when it comes to
limitations of use.

I don't know what the Ericsson license requires; I have not seen the
language.

(And I do not want to learn on this list any facts or rumors about the
practicalities and enforcement of licenses such as the two mentioned
above, except perhaps information that has already been published
elsewhere.)

Stephan