Re: [codec] Royalty Free codec standards -- don't settle for less

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Wed, 11 November 2009 22:40 UTC

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 07:40:18 +0900
From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: Eric Burger <eburger@standardstrack.com>, Rob Glidden <rob.glidden@sbcglobal.net>
Cc: codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [codec] Royalty Free codec standards -- don't settle for less

Hi Eric,

On 11/12/09 5:44 AM, "Eric Burger" <eburger@standardstrack.com> wrote:

> Am I missing something here?  I cannot tell if what you are saying is
> the JVC EG was able to produce a RF baseline (the last paragraph) or
> they were not able to produce a RF baseline (the second to last
> paragraph)?

FWIW, I was one of the "architects" of JVT's royalty-free baseline approach,
and I believe I have some limited insight in the realities today.  My
position in our discussion is in part a reaction to these realities.

The short answer to this question is (as usual): it depends whom you ask.
However, clearly, most lawyers would probably advise a business to practice
H.264 baseline only after having obtained a license from the pool and
possibly other known rightholders.

At present, one can pick a (royalty-bearing, though cheap, comparatively
speaking) license from the MPEG-LA patent pool which contains patent claims
allegedly relevant to practice baseline and/or many other profiles.  MPEG-LA
does not distinguish between profiles on the out-licensing side; which is a
wise business decision on their side, I believe. Further, there are
rightholders outside the pool (according to ITU/ISO/IEC declarations on file
in the respective organizations), who may or may not charge for a license of
their patents related to baseline (or other profiles).  No one really knows
for sure.

OTOH, some say that the assurances every contribution had to be accompanied
with (RF licensing in case the contribution were accepted, under a
reciprocity condition) continues to provide an essentially RF licensing
environment for baseline.  Note that the requirement for these assurances
were implemented in JVT only; they are not a rack ITU or ISO/IEC policy.
I'm personally aware of only a single ruling related to alleged infringement
of H.264 baseline (although H.264 patents have been litigated more than
once), and this ruling was quite positive for the alleged infringer;
however, the legal grounds for the ruling had AFAIK little or nothing to do
with the assurances mentioned above, but only with other process violations
and (more importantly) legal grounds to subtle to discuss here.  It should
further be noticed, that many folks in the community consider the ruling
"bad law".

Finally, the JVT Royalty-free baseline project did explicitly NOT target
anything but royalty-free *licensing*.  As it has been pointed out already,
by the strictest interpretation of the GPL and other similarly restrictive
"free" or open source licenses, the mere fact that one has to obtain a
license already renders a technology "incompatible" with the license.
That's why I have pointed out time and time again that you guys need to
shoot for non-assert covenants from known rightholders rather than RF
licensing provisions.  That said, there are tons of open source projects
(under GPL and other licenses) that implement H.264 and similarly
known-as-encumbered standards.

> One thing that is clearly different is IPR declaration in the IETF is
> not optional: it is mandatory and the policy is clear.

In the ITU as well.  Arguably: clearer than in the IETF.

> Moreover,
> there is established case law that if a participant neglects to
> declare their IPR, and the IPR gets incorporated into a standard, the
> participant loses their IP rights.

I would think your statement may be a tad too strong.  But I agree, it has
been getting more and more difficult to enforce patent rights when clear
process violations are shown, independent from the organization involved.
One significant aspect of the case mentioned above is that even violations
of the common conduct in the committee in question (something I have called
"culture" in a previous posts) may endanger the enforceability of patents,
even if one cannot, by the strictest interpretation of policy documents,
find support of a process violation under the written policy documents.

Not simple, this stuff.

Stephan