Re: [conex] Crediting [was: Re: Review of draft-ietf-conex-abstract-mech-06]

David Wagner <david.wagner@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de> Wed, 31 July 2013 00:34 UTC

From: David Wagner <david.wagner@ikr.uni-stuttgart.de>
To: Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 02:33:56 +0200
Cc: ConEx IETF list <conex@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [conex] Crediting [was: Re: Review of draft-ietf-conex-abstract-mech-06]

Hi  Bob,

the surcharge approach does solve part of / shift the problem:

of course the ecn-/loss-balance will get negative but the sender is supposed to have sent credit sufficient credit _in advance_ to cover that congestion event, thus making the credit counter remain non-negative after the congestion event.
The point is, if there is no limit to replacing L-/E-marks by credit, _then_ there is not benefit / difference compared to the substitute approach (can also be seen at the penalty criteria). _If_ there is anything that verifies the observed loss and ECN-CE marks against the seen L- & E-marks, _then_ there is a benefit. E.g. the criterion#2. Or there also is a benefit if credits expire...

So the resume remains, surcharge is not worse than substitute, and either the rtt-criterion or the expiration-approach should be applied in order improve it compared to substitute to ensure that credit really does not replace ConEx-marks.
Or do _I_ miss something?

David