Re: [core] sleepy to sleepy communication I-Ds

Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net> Mon, 05 March 2012 01:04 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 03:04:19 +0200
From: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
To: Bruce Nordman <bnordman@lbl.gov>
Cc: "core@ietf.org" <core@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [core] sleepy to sleepy communication I-Ds

Good points, Bruce.

I will add that for many applications and platforms, the ability to communicate is the primary issue and waking up the CPU is secondary. In addition, on many link layers the ability to communicate depends on the network as well as the device, as it is the network that does the final synchronization, granting of time slots, etc. These may not matter on a coarse time scale (I'll wake up to listen for messages from 00h00min0s to 00h00min5s, but it may matter for smaller time scales (it definitely does for a millisecond).

Jari