Re: [core] CORE Draft Agenda for IETF 77

"Don Sturek" <d.sturek@att.net> Wed, 10 March 2010 22:40 UTC

From: Don Sturek <d.sturek@att.net>
To: 'Cullen Jennings' <fluffy@cisco.com>, core@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:40:18 -0800
Subject: Re: [core] CORE Draft Agenda for IETF 77

Hi Cullen,

Here are a few points that I think need some discussion time in Anaheim:
1)  Resource discovery - I spent a good amount of time trying to find
something that would work within Smart Energy (looking at SLP, m-DNS, SSDP,
even writing an I-D around an optimized SLP).  None of these solutions look
real attractive "as-is".  Can we use some time to re-confirm the
requirements for Resource Discovery and either focus some effort in creating
an optimized solution or identifying what existing solution we could modify
and use?
2)  Directory agent/User agent design - This is related to Resource
discovery but has to do with caching for sleeping devices (a common problem
in constrained environments).  Directory agent only solutions are not
popular since they add resources to selected devices on the network (whose
manufacturers would prefer were cheaper!) while User agent solutions alone
don't address caching.  It would be nice to find a solution (like m-DNS)
where both is possible

I think both of these topics could be addressed in Zach's speaking slot
given they are part of the original problem statement.

Don