Re: [core] CORE Draft Agenda for IETF 77

Zach Shelby <zach@sensinode.com> Thu, 11 March 2010 08:06 UTC

From: Zach Shelby <zach@sensinode.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:06:34 +0200
To: d.sturek@att.net
Cc: core@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [core] CORE Draft Agenda for IETF 77

Hi Don,

Sure, I think we should discuss these points during the WG meeting and I'd be happy to include them in my slot on CoAP. We have a (currently blank) resource discovery section in the I-D, and need to move forward on that as a result of Anaheim. Same goes for subscription.

There are two issues to be considered there:
1. Discovery of CoAP resources, this is clearly in the charter and could include both directory agent/user agent models.
2. Pointing to a service discovery technique that should be used in case you don't even know if/who is running a CoAP service is something we can do. We can't modify or create a protocol for this without re-chartering.

Could I suggest that you help me out with a few slides regarding resource discovery (1.)? I'll be on vacation for the next week, but let's do this together in the first days of Anaheim.

Zach

On Mar 11, 2010, at 0:40 , Don Sturek wrote:

> Hi Cullen,
>
> Here are a few points that I think need some discussion time in Anaheim:
> 1)  Resource discovery - I spent a good amount of time trying to find
> something that would work within Smart Energy (looking at SLP, m-DNS, SSDP,
> even writing an I-D around an optimized SLP).  None of these solutions look
> real attractive "as-is".  Can we use some time to re-confirm the
> requirements for Resource Discovery and either focus some effort in creating
> an optimized solution or identifying what existing solution we could modify
> and use?
> 2)  Directory agent/User agent design - This is related to Resource
> discovery but has to do with caching for sleeping devices (a common problem
> in constrained environments).  Directory agent only solutions are not
> popular since they add resources to selected devices on the network (whose
> manufacturers would prefer were cheaper!) while User agent solutions alone
> don't address caching.  It would be nice to find a solution (like m-DNS)
> where both is possible
>
> I think both of these topics could be addressed in Zach's speaking slot
> given they are part of the original problem statement.
>
> Don

http://www.sensinode.com
http://zachshelby.org - My blog "On the Internet of Things"
http://6lowpan.net - New book - "6LoWPAN: The Wireless Embedded Internet"
Mobile: +358 40 7796297

Zach Shelby
Head of Research
Sensinode Ltd.
Kidekuja 2
88610 Vuokatti, FINLAND

This e-mail and all attached material are confidential and may contain legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail from your system without producing, distributing or retaining copies thereof.