Re: IPv7 Selection Criteria

Noel Chiappa <jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu> Tue, 22 December 1992 20:40 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1992 15:33:43 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Noel Chiappa <jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu>
To: Scott_Brim@cornell.edu, jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu, kasten@ftp.com
Subject: Re: IPv7 Selection Criteria
Cc: criteria@ftp.com

    Noel, we're talking about limited services for the pockets, not about full
    service which would require NAT.  They don't deserve a lot of respect, but
    you can't assume you will be able to get rid of them with a transition
    period of less than 10 years.

Well, what's "limited service"? Does it mean that to get to large portions
of the Internet, for *any* service, you have to go through a service level
gateway?
I.e, once you can no longer map all existing IP hosts into 32 bits (no matter
how hard you cram them, Nimrod style or otherwise :-), you either have i) lots
of places you can't get to from an old host, or ii) NAT. I think you're likely
to get to that place in 10 years, too...

	Noel