Re: [Detnet] OAM terms

gregory.mirsky@ztetx.com Thu, 08 July 2021 00:34 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 08:34:45 +0800
From: gregory.mirsky@ztetx.com
To: pthubert@cisco.com
Cc: detnet@ietf.org, raw@ietf.org, theoleyre@unistra.fr, David.Black@dell.com, balazs.a.varga@ericsson.com, Janos.Farkas@ericsson.com
Subject: Re: [Detnet] OAM terms

Hi Pascal,
thank you for your kind consideration of my notes and the detailed answers to questions. I've been thinking about the Reverse OAM. As I understand the use case, please correct me if it is wrong, the goal of a Reverse OAM is not a measurement of any performance metric or making a snapshot of resource utilization, e.g., buffer utilization on ingress/egress interface. As I understand it, the Reverse OAM is to collect compounded, i.e., calculated over a period of time, based on a sequence of singleton metrics, information from nodes traversed by the monitored flow. In other words, the Reverse OAM is tasked with collecting the telemetry information. If that is the case, we may look into extending the HTS to be used in it. Based on my assumption and understanding, I'm updating the HTS draft to make it possible for an arbitrary node to transmit the HTS Follow-up packet with characteristic information of the monitored data flow. As a result, an egress node can transmit such packet di
 recting it towards the ingress of the flow with the engineered path that crosses nodes of interest. What do you think?

Regards,
Greg Mirsky
Sr. Standardization Expert
预研标准部/有线研究院/有线产品经营部  Standard Preresearch Dept./Wireline Product R&D Institute/Wireline Product Operation Division
E: gregory.mirsky@ztetx.com
www.zte.com.cn