Re: [dhcwg] Review of Service-Discovery-Type options in DHCP

Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com> Wed, 17 July 2002 12:10 UTC

Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Review of Service-Discovery-Type options in DHCP
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 05:01:22 -0700
x-sender: cheshire@mail.apple.com
x-mailer: Claris Emailer 2.0v3, January 22, 1998
From: Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com>
To: DHCP discussion list <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

>What you propose is perfectly workable, but I don't
>see how it's *better* than what DHCP already provides.

My belief is that one of the benefits of IPv6 is that it does automatic
address allocation without needing a DHCP server. This is good. This
means that your network operations people have one less server to install
and configure and maintain.

If we make our IPv6 hosts dependent on DHCPv6 servers for lots of
critical information that they cannot operate without, then we still need
to run a DHCP server and we have lost that IPv6 benefit.

Since (a) hosts still need to find out information like "Where's my time
server", and (b) in an all-IPv6 world we still plan to run DNS servers
anyway, then if we can put information (a) into DNS (b), we can eliminate
the burden of also having to install and configure and maintain a DHCP
server. Instead of having to communicate arbitrary bootstrap
configuration information to hosts, we now just have to communicate the
name server address(es) and the default domain, which is a nice simple
constrained problem that can be solved in any number of simple ways --
e.g. add that information to Router Advertisement packets.

[Of course, I am well aware that this point of view will not be popular
with all the people working so hard for so long on DHCPv6. Also, if you
have a company that sells a DHCP server, then eliminating the need for
DHCP servers is not in your company's best interest. I understand that.]

Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer
 * Chairman, IETF ZEROCONF
 * www.stuartcheshire.org