Re: [dhcwg] Review of Service-Discovery-Type options in DHCP

Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com> Tue, 16 July 2002 10:24 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:20:41 +0900
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Review of Service-Discovery-Type options in DHCP
Cc: DHCP discussion list <dhcwg@ietf.org>
To: Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com>
From: Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>
Sender: dhcwg-admin@ietf.org

What you propose is perfectly workable, but I don't see how it's *better*
than what DHCP already provides.   That is, we have something that works
now.   Why is the DNS a better choice as a resource discovery server?   I
can think of some reasons, but I'm not sure why you think this makes sense,
  so I'm grasping at straws a bit - the reasons I can think of in favor of
DNS are ones you have stated, and I don't have a real problem with them,
but I don't find them particularly compelling either.

DNS is better:

     1. I already have to have a DNS server.   With IPv6,
        I don't have to have a DHCP server.   So this is
        one less thing I have to configure/deploy.
     2. DNS servers understand administrative domains,
        and administrative domains are a good way to
        determine which clients should use which servers.

DHCP is better:

     1. DHCP already solves the problem of locating services,
        so we don't have to kludge something into the DNS
        namespace.
     2. DHCP servers understand the network topology, and
        topology is a good way to determine which clients
        should use which servers.
     3. You have to have a DHCP server anyway - how are you
        going to get the IP address of your DNS server?

Arguments (1) are true, although I don't find argument 1 for DNS
particularly compelling.   The other arguments aren't true - they're just
opinions, and not necessarily even particularly valid opinions.   My
feeling here is that using DNS as a server location protocol is chancy at
best, and so I don't want to switch from DHCP to DNS, but I can't prove
that I'm right on this.

Can you come up with a really compelling argument for using one over the
other?