Re: [dhcwg] WG Adoption Call - draft-jiang-dhc-dhcp-privacy & draft-krishnan-dhc-dhcpv6-privacy

"Linhui Sun" <sunlinhui@bupt.edu.cn> Fri, 23 January 2015 05:23 UTC

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 13:24:32 +0800
From: Linhui Sun <sunlinhui@bupt.edu.cn>
To: "dhcwg@ietf.org" <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Cc: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] WG Adoption Call - draft-jiang-dhc-dhcp-privacy & draft-krishnan-dhc-dhcpv6-privacy

Hi, all

I do support the two documents to be adopted as WG items. While I got a minor confusion about section 3.5 in [draft-krishnan-dhc-dhcpv6-privacy-00]. And I also believe this minor issue can be solved after it becomes the WG item.

3.5.  Subscriber ID @ [draft-krishnan-dhc-dhcpv6-privacy-00]
   A DHCPv6 relay includes a Subscriber ID option [RFC4580] to associate
   some provider-specific information with clients' DHCPv6 messages that
   is independent of the physical network configuration.
   In many deployments, the relay agent that inserts this option is
   configured to use client's link-layer address as Subscriber ID.

As defiend in RFC4580 (also described in this document), the Subscriber ID is expected to provide provider-specific information and be independent of the physical network configuration.  However, the Subscriber ID often uses client's link-layer address in practice as described in the second paragraph. There seems to be a conflict between the original design motivation and the actual deployment, since the client's link-layer address seems not to be provider-specifc and is relevant to physical network configuration.

Best Regards,
Linhui

sunlinhui@bupt.edu.cn