RE: [dhcwg] Re: IPv6 WG Last Call:draft-ietf-ipv6-ra-mo-flags-01.txt

"Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <volz@cisco.com> Mon, 16 May 2005 17:11 UTC

Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Re: IPv6 WG Last Call:draft-ietf-ipv6-ra-mo-flags-01.txt
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:11:41 -0400
From: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com>
To: JINMEI Tatuya / ???? <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>, Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Cc: dhcwg@ietf.org, IPv6 WG <ipv6@ietf.org>, "Ralph Droms (rdroms)" <rdroms@cisco.com>
Sender: dhcwg-bounces@ietf.org

BTW, if you want to look at this from the router administrator's
perspective:

Configure the router to send the M flag set in routing advertisements
for a Link IF:
1. A stateful DHCP server is deployed for that link (either on it or
reachable via a relay agent) AND
2. At least ONE or more prefixes the router is advertising for that link
are NOT configured for stateless auto-configuration.

Configure the router to send the O flag set in routing advertisements
for a link IF:
1. A stateful or stateless DHCP server is deployed for that link (either
on it or reachable via a relay agent) AND
2. At least ONE or more prefixes the router is advertising for that link
ALLOW stateless auto-configuration OR there are resources available to
the clients on that link that are reachable via link-local addresses
(such as an SNTP server). The latter may change over time depending on
what other configuration settings are available, but with the present
set of IETF options there is little value in providing any of the other
configuration settings if the client can only use link-local addresses.

So, the 4 possible combinations of the M&O bit may appear and be used.

For example, the M may be set but the O clear if no stateless auto
configuration for any address is possible (and there are no link-local
resources available to the client that can be configured via DHCP).

The M may be clear if there are no stateful addresses for the link. In
this case, the O would be set if there are more than link-local
addresses advertised.

Both the M & O would be set if one or more stateful addresses is
present, but stateless addresses are also available. Clients that don't
support stateful would still need the other configuration parameters and
could likely communicate with those resources since they have
non-link-local addresses.

- Bernie