Re: [dhcwg] FW: RFC3315 question

Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com> Thu, 01 March 2007 20:36 UTC

Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 15:36:25 -0500
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] FW: RFC3315 question
From: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
To: Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>, dhcwg <dhcwg@ietf.org>
DKIM-Signature: v=0.5; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; l=7731; t=1172781368; x=1173645368; c=relaxed/simple; s=sjdkim8002; h=Content-Type:From:Subject:Content-Transfer-Encoding:MIME-Version; d=cisco.com; i=rdroms@cisco.com; z=From:=20Ralph=20Droms=20<rdroms@cisco.com> |Subject:=20Re=3A=20[dhcwg]=20FW=3A=20RFC3315=20question |Sender:=20; bh=EaQ5wOKjuW1Zds3+ZpBxFLKkFk9nTpZEY4T/GvaMR30=; b=gZ4GuLFrC8HzWcJQeMF5TN0kSXyUGzDnipgO2gbmzs9J+ykIAb+pZ2Y0PYOnMJwPqq3Rq0nc uixjnaUIpV8fqC+Qro4+dinocIoWENGa318AvBNLW2giFiv81rTH2Cut;

Summarizing the discussion on these issues, in reverse order:

The IANA/RFC826 issue can be addressed by an erratum:

OLD:

   The hardware type MUST be a valid hardware type
   assigned by the IANA as described in RFC 826 [14].

NEW:

   The hardware type MUST be a valid hardware type from the list of
   ARP hardware types maintained by IANA at <insert URL here>

I haven't read anything defining specific text for the first issue beyond
the text Ted suggested in his original (off-list) e-mail exchange.
Therefore, I suggest we use his suggested text in an erratum:

OLD:

9.2. DUID Based on Link-layer Address Plus Time [DUID-LLT]

   This type of DUID consists of a two octet type field containing the
   value 1, a two octet hardware type code, four octets containing a
   time value, followed by link-layer address of any one network
   interface that is connected to the DHCP device at the time that the
   DUID is generated.  The time value is the time that the DUID is
   generated represented in seconds since midnight (UTC), January 1,
   2000, modulo 2^32.  The hardware type MUST be a valid hardware type
   assigned by the IANA as described in RFC 826 [14].  Both the time and
   the hardware type are stored in network byte order.  The link-layer
   address is stored in canonical form, as described in RFC 2464 [2].

NEW:

9.2. DUID Based on Link-layer Address Plus Time [DUID-LLT]

   This type of DUID consists of a two octet type field containing the
   value 1, a two octet hardware type code, four octets containing a
   time value, followed by link-layer address of any one network
   interface that is connected to the DHCP device at the time that the
   DUID is generated.  The time value is the time that the DUID is
   generated represented in seconds since midnight (UTC), January 1,
   2000, modulo 2^32.  The hardware type MUST be a valid hardware type
   assigned by the IANA as described in RFC 826 [14].  Both the time and
   the hardware type are stored in network byte order.

   The details of how the link-layer address is formatted are defined
   in the appropriate "IPv6 over <link>" specification such as "IPv6
   over Ethernet" [RFC2464], "IPv6 over FDDI" [RFCnnnn], etc.
   Specifically, the link-layer address should appear in the DUID-LLT
   option just as it does in the frame header for that particular link
   type.  For example the link-layer address for an ethernet interface
   would be formatted in the same way as the Destination Ethernet
   Address field of the ethernet frame as described in the section of
   "IPv6 over Ethernet" [RFC2464] titled "Frame Format."

- Ralph